Half sockets in flat not working?

Sponsored Links
Do you know if all those 4 switches were all off before? Maybe the first electrician turned one off and forgot to put back on? Could be as simple as that.

Sponsored Links
Do you know if all those 4 switches were all off before? Maybe the first electrician turned one off and forgot to put back on? Could be as simple as that.

Those 4 breakersI presume are for the non working circuit which I have discovered if even one of them is turned on the RCD will turn on within minutes, even if they are on the sockets still dont work.
If I turn on one of those 4 MCB's ( circuit breakers) that are switched off, almost right away the RCD to the right side of them trips off and all electric in house shuts off apart from the lights!!! What does this indicate? Does it indicate an easy to fix issue potentially? The last two Sparkys were in for HOURS!!!!! and could not find the issue. One said will need to get the place rewired as fault must be in a connection under a carpet or in a wall.

Were those 4 causing it to trip before the first electrician came round?
Just wondering if the leak was causing the first trip, but then an electrician tried to fix and instead made things worse - which could be why they said needs rewire - he might not have been able to work out which circuit on the board did what so though, easier to rip he place up and do a bigger job.

But I have no idea, I am not a sparky!

Cowboys who "work" on electrics and even some electricians are not aware that an RCD can trip even when the MCB for the faulty circuit is switched OFF.

Current from a load on a perfectly good circuit divides at the Neutral bar in the Consumer Unit and the resulting un-balance ( Live =/= Neutral ) at the RCD will cause it to trip.

This can make fault finding very difficult and time consuming. The only sure way to locate the fault(s) is for each circuit to be fully isolated ( Live and Neutral disconnected ) at the consumer and insulation resistance test and earth leakage tests carried out on each and every circuit.

0x89.jpg

Last edited:
Always good to get different perspectives and more thoughts at times as sometimes they are different/sometimes not.

I am in Scotland.
Well in a nutshell:

Electric Kept tripping - did not know why
Electrican came out to check, said Neutral/Earth was wrong way around on one socket, and switched them back he said.
Soon after half the sockets in flat stopped working.
Electric still kept tripping.
Another electician came over days later, could not find issue and recomended a rewire.
Electric still kept tripping.
I checked under sink and discovered there was a leak from kitchen sink which was leaking onto the spuidly placed socket under sink which washing machine was connected too. I removed washing machine plug and never used this socket again under sink (and fixed leak from kitchen sink).
Electric no longer trips (unless for a good reason) - however, still have half the sockets not working in flat.

Can I ask is electric safe how it is now?

very possibly it is something to do with the change in that socket, and probably another one as well. Might be a loose or incorrect connection, might be something else.

In the UK your sockets are most likely on a ring, so you probably have two faults.

If you can puzzle out the route the ring takes for your sockets, identify the last one that works on each side of the dead section, and the first one that doesn't, on each side of the dead section

there is quite likely an incorrect or missing connection on one socket at each side

but it might also be that there is a break in the ring, for example a damaged cable where someone has drilled through it.

you need a competent (qualified) electrician.

How did you select the two previous ones?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back