halide lamp ballasts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Continuing the saga of the problem with my 400w twin halide unit. For some reason since I introduced new 10k lamps they (one a lot more than the other) kept going out and trying to reignite immediatly. Originally this happened once or twice a day but after a few months was going 20 times a day. I presume this killed the ignitor unit so I bought a new one today (nothing like existing and cant see how to wire it but....). When I opened the ballast unit I found this on top of the analogue clock unit:

eosgeneral166.jpg

eosgeneral165.jpg

eosgeneral164.jpg

Anyone know what it is, why it's wired in and if I can replace it?. Also wondering if it could have caused the problem with the lamps or the other way round?

Sponsored Links
Many thanks, presume this was caused by the unit attempting to relight the lamp before it cooled.

Sponsored Links
could be the cause of the re-lites.. break causing intermittent connection when getting hot..

getting worse over time as the heat causes either softening of the legs and reduced spring force holding the break together, or erosion of the contact points where the break meets..

i'd also be weary of that brown cable that goes under where the screw goes.. might wanna move it out of the way a bit just in case..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back