metal halide ignitor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I've got a twin 400w metal halide unit fed by a remote magnetic ballast. Unfortunately I think that the ignitor unit has failed and I need to sort it pretty quick. Basically can I use an ingitor unit off an old hps 1000w ballast or a mh / hps 600w ballast unit as I got one of each of these spare. Or can I pick up the correct ignitor fairly simply new?

Sponsored Links
You need the correct sized ignitor for the lamp and ballast, the ignitor type can depend on the type of ballast. You say twin unit, I take it this has two sets of control gear? I have used these in the past: Clicky with these Clicky

Sponsored Links
as usual, there seems to be some confusion on my part...

I take it then that this fitting is not your standard low bay ES27 light.. ( IE standard factory lighting.. )?

the type that comes as Low pressure sodium, mercury vapour or metal halide?

Do they make a 400w E27 discharge lamp? Thought they were all E40 above 70w?
The low pressure sodiums I have seen before up to 55w are bayonet cap used in street lighting.

my bad...

yes they are GES caps..

and it appears that it's the SON's that i might have been thinking of, although you can get MH replacements that work on SON fittings and can have built in igniters..

Depends on the make of the ballast. Is it a Philips ? if so then you require a Philips SN58 ignitor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back