Hallway downlight question, 12v or 240v

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am looking to install downlights in my hallway. it's 10m long, 2m'ish wide with switches at both ends. Currently there are two lights with their own roses installed.

I would like to put in downlights, as I mentioned, and would like to have them dimmable so I don't get arc eye when the missus switches them on to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night.

So, do I go 12v or 240v?
Also, are there any low energy bulbs that can be dimmed properly?

Advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I am looking to install downlights in my hallway. it's 10m long, 2m'ish wide with switches at both ends. Currently there are two lights with their own roses installed.
Step 1: Think about how well the space is currently lit by those 2 lights, and if your idea is to have more than 2 downlights then you've already identified the problem with them.

(I'm assuming that by downlights you do mean the sort generally meant to use MR16 lamps).

Those little 2" diameter ones came out of the retail display market, where they were designed to throw small pools of light onto individual items. Ever noticed how a common term for them is spotlights?

They are actually specifically designed to not be any good for providing general room illumination.

I referred to them as torches, and if you look at the business end of a Maglite you'll see a marked similarity to an MR16 lamp. Fiddling with the lamp technology does nothing to address the problems of the format.

Recessed lighting can be OK, but only in large sizes, and in places like hallways and landings where you just want unobtrusive efficient lighting that just gets on and does the job, something like this would probably be ideal:

Also, are there any low energy bulbs that can be dimmed properly?
Light like the one above which take PL lamps can be had with, or converted to have, dimmable ballasts.

They can also be had with, or converted to have, emergency battery backup, so that if a power cut or an MCB trip takes your lights out you aren't plunged into darkness - might be worth considering.

thanks, I'll pop along to my local electrical supplier and take a look at options.

Sponsored Links
One thing that you'll need to consider:

The two existing lights will be sitting on wooden joists (or on wooden cross members to support the weight of the light fittings.)

That will mean that any recessed lights cannot go where the existing lights are.
So you will have two issues:
1. You'll have to find new sites for the lights and plaster over and make good the holes.
2. You'll have to extend the existing wiring to the new locations. If you have loop in wiring you will probably have three cables (that's 9 conductors) to re-terminate and extend. Remember that you cannot have junction boxes, unless they are accessible.

Are you sure you still want to do it? why not just have a dimmer on the existing lights?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back