Hallway lighting problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have no idea how my downstairs hallway light is supposed to be wired. I hope someone can help.

Downstairs is a double switch which is supposed to control two downstairs lights (which work simultainiously with each other) with one switch, and then the upstairs landing light with the other switch.

The upstairs landing light of course having its own single switch as well.

The upstaris lght is wired as follows, from the 3 core cable yellow goes to the top connector labelled (1), the blue cable goes to the bottom connector labelled (1), and the red cable runs to the bottom connector labelled (2).

The two red wires from the 2 core cable run with 1 to the bottom connector (1) and one to the bottom conector (2).

I hope this makes sense, i'm not the most experienced if you can't tell.

Does anyone know how I should wire the bottom double swith so that it all works correctly? The double light switch is a modern one, with two sets of L1, L2 and Com terminals.

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
how was it wired before?

the downstairs switch for the landing should be wired with the same colours in the same holes as the upstairs switch for the landing.

please dont confuse SWITCH and LIGHT. It makes it harder to decipher.

Hi,

I can't remeber how it was wired before, I did take a diagram (since lost) and tried to copy the wiring for the switch, however the two switches were different (as the original one was wbout 30 years old), and since then no matter what combination I try it doesn't seem to work correctly.

Please can you kindly clarify what you mean when you say the doewnstairs switch should emulate the upstairs switch as they have different lay outs.

The upstairs switch has one central black box with 4 holes for wires, whereas the downstairs switch has two black boxes, each with 3 holes (labelled l1, com, l2 respectivly), one for each switch.

I hope this can offer some clarification.

It sounds like The COM terminal on your downstairs switch is the same as the top connector of your upstairs switch so put the yellow in there. Put the red and blue in L1 and L2

Sponsored Links
You are an absolute legend!

My lights now work propely, thank you so so much for your help. That one has been bugging me for months now.

Thnak you once again for your help and knowledge.

Not to worry, plastic front and all wires proeprly sleeved.

thanks for your help once again.

I think I'll stick with woodwork and painting hereafter! leave the slightly harder stuff to the proffessionals.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back