Hallway Radiator....bleeding ‘el !!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

My daughter recently moved house and the she has a problem with the hall-way radiator; it need bleeding every 10 days or so to ensure it gets hot.

As soon as it’s bled it heats-up rapidly, so there is no apparent problem with the flow of hot-water.

The gas boiler (not a combi) is in the kitchen. The water-pump and motorized valve etc are in the upstairs airing-cupboard adjacent to the hot water tank. The room-stat is situated between the lounge and the dining area.

There are no water leaks (apparently!) and the system appears to be working perfectly; very quiet, heats up very quickly and has been regularly serviced.

All the other ground floor and upper floors rads are fine. However this issue with the hallway radiator, which has a TRV fitted, persists.

All advice gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
Has the system got the correct amount of inhibiter added.

I assume (though I may be wrong) that the system has the correct level of inhibitor etc as it has been professionally maintained in the past, before my daughter bought the property.

I did think it may a build up of ‘corrosion’ gases, but if it was down to a lack of inhibitor in the system then I would imagine all the rads would be exhibiting the same problem to some degree; but the other rads are all fine.

There is no sign of any leakage around the valves etc or the pipework leading to the rad.

The rad and valves are not 'old' and appear to be in perfect condition.

I’m a bit mystified as to the cause.

When you bleed the rad, and release some gas and presumably some water.....is the water black?
I had a similar issue with one rad, so took it off and hosed it out in the garden. Added inhibitor and it's been much better since.
John :)

Sponsored Links
OP here,

Had a suggestion that it may be the TRV that is causing the problem. Could be intermittently sucking air in, but still remaining watertight.

Does that sound feasible guys ???

No. It would be leaking lots of water.

Check the "air" that comes out of the bleed screw by holding a flame undeneath. If it burns, it's hydrogen, a by-product of oxidation inside the steel rads. That the hall rad is catching it all is an accident of the design. If it's hydrogen, add more inhibitor.

Check that the heating header tank is full of water.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back