HALLWAY

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a large hallway which is currently covered in cheap laminate. The floor is concrete.

I am looking at replacing the laminate. I don't want tiles.

I would like some real wood flooring and have looked at kits for underfloor heating [the thin matting suitable for wood flooring]

A few questions;

(1) Does the underfloor heating have an adverse effect on the wood [I appreciate they say it is designed for under wood flooring but you never know without experience]

(2) Clearly, as it is a concrete floor, I would have to lay it as a floating floor - Will that cause problems?

(3) What is the best stuff to lay assuming (1) and (2) above are okay??

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
Underfloor heating in hallway - I know better ways to spend my money.

Besides that: underfloor heating and solid floors are a no no. Wood-engineered floors on UFH normally are glued down, not installed floating.

If you forget about UFH: still go for wood-engineered flooring in hallways - temperature changes and wet shoes etc.

Thanks for the reply.

Are you saying hallway UFH is a waste of money? I assume because of heat loss??

Problem is a relatively large hallway with one double rad at one end next to the front door which just doesn't cut it for heating the hallway. Alternative is fit another rad elsewhere in the hallway but entails dropping pipes from above and having ugly pipes or boxwork.

The carbon-film UFH clearly states suitable for solid wood floors laid as floating floor. I have had the manufacturers send me all the bumph and have read it thoroughly. Guaranteed 10 years.

I take on board all that you say as you are the expert. I will ensure I use engineered flooring and have to forget about the UFH.

I assume the manufacturer is making claims which do not hold water [no pun intended] from your experience.

Many Thanks

forget ufh! It really is more trouble than it is worth. There warranty is that you can use there product under a wooden floor. But the manufacturer of the flooring wont warranty it. When there is a problem you are in the wrong for fitting a flooring over the ufh that is not guaranteed by the flooring manufactorer. Stick with woodys advice. She knows her stuff!
Have you seen the skirting heaters? Im sure woody will post you a link to them. Or you could have a good look around 'wood you like' website for them.

O and for woody, You might like this one, Went out on a inspection last week- Surface temp of the solid was 37c and the UFH had been turned off hours before we got there ! Guess what, the installer and builder said the wood was faulty!

Sponsored Links
Have you seen the skirting heaters? Im sure woody will post you a link to them. Or you could have a good look around 'wood you like' website for them.

O and for woody, You might like this one, Went out on a inspection last week- Surface temp of the solid was 37c and the UFH had been turned off hours before we got there ! Guess what, the installer and builder said the wood was faulty!
LOL matty. Every one knows, should know, that the surface temperature with ufh can't be over 27 degrees. Faulty wood indeed!!

As for skirting heating, look here

Thanks for the replies.

Back to the drawing board...................

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back