Halogen 12v Spotlights going out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Wondered if anybody can offer any advice re the above spotlights. Our house is full of these lights in the bedrooms, kitchen etc.

They are great when they work, but the problem is they seem to stop working all the time, and I have no idea why. When a spotlight stops working it is rarely that the bulb has blown. If I take it out and put it back in, it will often work, sometimes for an hour, sometimes for days or even weeks, but then eventually it goes out again. It is driving me crazy as it looks so bad, especially in the kitchen where we are down to only 4 out of 9 now working. I have given up fiddling with them as it never seems to help in the long run.

I have checked similar threads on here and they mention that the transformers could have gone, but I don't see how that could be the case here as the lights can come back on after fiddling with the bulbs.

I am completely ignorant to anything DIY so if anybody can offer any suggestions as to what could be the problem and how to fix it I would be really grateful. My Dad suggests that these 12v bulbs don't have great connections and that might be the problem, but surely if that were the case this problem would be occurring with everybody that has these lights.

Any ideas very welcome!

thanks,
Adam.

Sponsored Links
Most likely the transformers - they don't usually die completely, at first they exhibit the sort of behaviour you describe.

Can also be the wiring to the lamp holders - over time these can corrode with the heat coming up from the lamp, and sometimes fiddling with the fitting restores contact for a while. If this is the case you can get replacement lampholders.

PJ

I often find the pins on the lamps end up a little corroded, a very light rub with sand paper may help.
Make sure the lamp holders look sound, these are about a quid each to replace.
Also make sure there is ample space above the lamps to let heat escape, clear any insulation away from the fittings, normally around a 100m space above the fitting is recommended.
Check all connections are secure too.

Sponsored Links
Can never have too much breathing room for those halogens!

Downlights are the spawn of the devil.

If they don't work its just nature telling you to use a more efficient - and environmentally friendly form of lighting.

In the 1970's I first came across the two pin quartz halogen lamp without fan cooling. Seen before that in slide projectors and like but these had a cooling fan. From the first time I used them they have always been a problem seems the pins just get too hot.

The 50mm spot was a little better as more surface area to remove heat but the dichromate coating on some reflectors however compounded the problem. With the 230v GU10 and GZ10 dichromate reflector lamps will only fit in the GZ10 so one can't physically fit the wrong type plus the larger bayonet fitting with reduced current are unlikely to fail in the same way.

The 230v version can also take the cold cathode type lamp which use less power and produce less heat and also there is no problem using even LED lamps. The 12v version often has an inverter rather than transformer which uses a switched mode method of regulation so has both a max and min current so often the lamps can't use any of the low energy bulbs.

With 10W lamps they seem to work OK it's the larger 50W versions which cause the problem but what ever wattage the ceiling looks like a planetarium. In the bedroom as a reading lamp wall mounted they are great and the heat is an advantage keeping one warm but problem is they are at a hight one can touch so not really safe. In the kitchen I want to keep the room as cool as I can there is enough heat from the cooking without adding more so really stupid lighting for a kitchen.

In pods in the ceiling they work great to light pictures on the wall. That's what they are really for but as general lighting well they are useless.

So although one may be able to change the extra low voltage in most areas (not bathroom) for the low voltage (230v) versions personally I would be looking at a completely different method for general lighting.

The larger down lighters seem to work a lot better. I have one in a bedroom with a 2D lamp in it must be at least 12" across so can't say there is a problem with down lighters but there is a problem with the 2" type.

Hi,

Wondered if anybody can offer any advice re the above spotlights. Our house is full of these lights in the bedrooms, kitchen etc.

They are great when they work, but the problem is they seem to stop working all the time, and I have no idea why. When a spotlight stops working it is rarely that the bulb has blown. If I take it out and put it back in, it will often work, sometimes for an hour, sometimes for days or even weeks, but then eventually it goes out again. It is driving me crazy as it looks so bad, especially in the kitchen where we are down to only 4 out of 9 now working. I have given up fiddling with them as it never seems to help in the long run.

I have checked similar threads on here and they mention that the transformers could have gone, but I don't see how that could be the case here as the lights can come back on after fiddling with the bulbs.

I am completely ignorant to anything DIY so if anybody can offer any suggestions as to what could be the problem and how to fix it I would be really grateful. My Dad suggests that these 12v bulbs don't have great connections and that might be the problem, but surely if that were the case this problem would be occurring with everybody that has these lights.

Any ideas very welcome!

thanks,
Adam.

It'll be the lampholders. Spares are available here

If a lampholder has failed it will have burnt the pins on the lamp in the process. You need to make sure the pins are cleaned up to shiny metal. P180 grit sand paper is ideal for this, or better still fit a new quality lamp whilst you're replacing the lampholder.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back