halogen downlighters - Reinforced concrete ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i've tried finding a topic that covers this but I've had no luck so . . .

My ceiling is made of reinforced concrete. I've just had it skimmed. I want to know if there is any way I can get the halogen downlighter effect without buying those awful rail lights. I'm happy to have a kind of false ceiling type thingy but I only want it to be about a third of the total area of the ceiling so that it's suspended in the middle of the room - that way it doesn't look as if the whole ceiling appears considerably lower.

Anyone know if you can buy these kind of things from a retailer or whether I'd have to get it made up by a chippie. Also can a number of halogens be run from the electrical power of one ceiling outlet ?

Sponsored Links

The bit to the right was built on site using plasterboard on a timber frame. It was also skimmed. A shadow gap was formed around the edge to give it the "floating" look.

If your concrete ceiling is high enough they look great but I don’t think B&Q stock these :LOL:

I've also seen one made from pine which looked good

tenroom said:
Also can a number of halogens be run from the electrical power of one ceiling outlet ?

Sorry, I missed your last part. Yes they can depending on the total load, cable sizes etc.

If the lights are for "decoration” then you may want to use 20watt lamps so you can have more of the twinkle effect. If it’s for general lighting then 50watt wide beam are better.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Pensdown

that floating thing looks great but I suppose it costs a fortune to make, right ?

I'm not interested in doing a shedload of cash on this but I'd appreciate if anyone could gimme a ballpark figure as to what something like that is going to cost.

dunno how much exactly it would cost but i can't imagine it would be huge if you made it yourself. Its almost certainly just a lightweight wooden frame covered in plasterboard.

As plugwash has said, its a simple timber frame clad in platerboard.

The materials cost will be around £25-50 + labour to skim it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back