Halogen light lead behind skirting?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Quick question lads i have a fire mantal with 2 halogen lights is it legal to run the plug lead behind the skirting? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Electrical installation instructions are not law, but can be used in a court of law, and odd as it seems just under the ceiling around the room is considered as a safe zone, but at floor level it is not, unless some thing shows there are wires there, so using skirting trunking is OK, but home made skirting trunking is not, which I know seems daft.

Using cable buckles and having the cable visible on the top of skirting is OK, but hide behind skirting is not, which I know seems daft, if there is some electrical item then vertical and horizontal from the item is a safe zone, so skirting with lights set in to it and cable behind would be OK as lights show there will be a feed cable. But it stops at any corner.

It is all down to safe zones and where one would expect to find cables.

Thanks eric I know about safe zones for electrical installations but i ask this question because this is not an installation as such and just a wire from 2 external halogen lights as you can buy skirting with halogen lights in them which made me wonder
Electrical installation instructions are not law, but can be used in a court of law, and odd as it seems just under the ceiling around the room is considered as a safe zone, but at floor level it is not, unless some thing shows there are wires there, so using skirting trunking is OK, but home made skirting trunking is not, which I know seems daft.

Using cable buckles and having the cable visible on the top of skirting is OK, but hide behind skirting is not, which I know seems daft, if there is some electrical item then vertical and horizontal from the item is a safe zone, so skirting with lights set in to it and cable behind would be OK as lights show there will be a feed cable. But it stops at any corner.

It is all down to safe zones and where one would expect to find cables.
Edited

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks eric I know about safe zones for electrical installations but i ask this question because this is not an installation as such and just a wire from 2 external halogen lights as you can buy skirting with halogen lights in them which made me wonder

Edited

The basic idea is that there needs to be some indication, by looking at the skirting, that there could be a cable running behind it.

The basic idea is that there needs to be some indication, by looking at the skirting, that there could be a cable running behind it.
Hi dave i was planning on drilling a hole in the skirting by the plug socket for the lead and plug to exit from so the plug and lead would be an indicator ?

Hi dave i was planning on drilling a hole in the skirting by the plug socket for the lead and plug to exit from so the plug and lead would be an indicator ?

It should be an permanently installed electrical accessory which is connected to the circuit in question. The accessory creates a Safe Zone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back