Halogen to LED

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
By all means I'm no electrician. I'm changing the spot lights in our house from halogen to LED. I have the GU10 fly leads (converters) but when I take down the old halogen leads and affix the new ones it doesn't work.... What am I doing wrong? It is literally just 2 small black wires L &N coming from our ceiling so I'm stumped... Help

Sponsored Links
More info please!

Your LED lamps, what voltage are they?

Your halogen lamps, what voltage are they? If they are 12v then there may be a transformer/driver (or more than one) up in the ceiling that converts mains voltage to 12v for the halogen light.
If your LED lamps are 230v then the transformer will need to be removed.

That would be why. It didn't even cross my mind about the transformer. Will that be for each individual fitting or one for a number of fittings

Will that be for each individual fitting or one for a number of fittings
Could be one central one, or more usually one for each light. If you gently pull the existing wires that are hanging out of the ceiling then the transformer might slide into view.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the info one last question. Will I need a new transformer for the Gu10 cables or does the transformer just need removing and the mains cables connecting to the GU10 leads

The other issue is I have 2 lives and 2 neutrals running to the existing transformer

image.jpeg

OK. So you need to put the wires from your new LED holder to replace the blue and brown wires in your picture. Leave the black and red wires as they are.

Whoever did that was not an electrician......Those bare wires should have green&yellow earth sleeving on then and should also go into a proper bit of terminal block.

I hope that the terminal block was inside an enclosure? If not you need to get some chocboxes as the connection must be enclosed inside something.

PS I hope that you have the power turned off before you start messing around with things!!?

Whoever did the electrics in this house is an idiot. I've got the power off and the light turned on. They weren't in chocboxes but I've bought gu10 leads with them attached... See picture. They just had loads of insulating tape around

image.jpg
And last question I promise (thanks for your help) I'm guessing the copper wire wrapped around the upper two mains wires will need to have insulating grape around

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back