halogen spot light problem in front room!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
one of my halogen spot light blew on sunday,
i replaced the bulb but whenever i turn on the light switch it trips out all the over lights downstairs.
i have changed all the bulbs but still no joy.
any idea what could be wrong?

Sponsored Links
all i know is that the bulbs which were in ther were 12v 20 watt bulbs
where are the transfomrers? are these the little black conectors in the celling which connect to the wiring?
if so what should i be looking for?

Transformers vary in their appearance, but will generally be about the size of a mobile phone, and may mention pri and sec in their info panel.

It is not uncommon for a transformer to fail when a lamp blows. This is why its good to have one transformer per light, so you dont loose the whole lot.

If you take the transformer out, and take a photo of its rating panel, or tell us what it says, we'll give you a link to a suitable replacement online. But if it only powers the one light, a 12 volt 20VA transformer will be fine. http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/LTYT50.html

Sponsored Links
would the transformer be in the celling or by the fuse box?

It should be in the ceiling. Take the light fittings out of the ceiling and and gently pull on the wiring, A transformer should emerge, eventually.

They are supposed to be accessible...

just tried that with all three nothing to be found.
i have an open living room / dinning room.
in the dining room i have a celling fan light, could it be attached to that despite the fact they have 2 different light switches? and the celling fan works fine?

i also have some ring celling lighting in the hall way and in the ulitity room could it be attached to them?

The wire from each 12v lamp will go to a transformer, or transformers.

Usually they are in the ceiling void or in the loft if its an upstairs room.

the fitting just pulls out from the celling once the bulb has been removed.
the bulb connects to a little white round item which is connects by two white leads this then connects to the mains.
no sign of and transformer

the bulb connects to a little white round item which is connects by two white leads this then connects to the mains.
no sign of and transformer
Hmmm . . . could you by chance take a photo of the arrangement you see when you pull the wiring down? (What you describe as the mains cannot be so, since you are using 12 volt lamps - mains cable is used for low voltage too)

The thing is, if theres no transformer by the light fitting, and all 3 lights are wired this way, they are probably sharing one transformer, in which case if the other 2 are working, the transformer isn't at fault, unless its got 3 fused outputs (unlikely)

It is possible that the bulb holder is faulty or has been heat damaged.

Then theres the issue of finding the transformers if the holder isn't faulty. Its possible some arse hole has put it/them where the old centre light used to be, which has probably been plastered up now? You know where I'm going with this I think. ;)

Yes, definately 12v lamps. That black wire going into the ceiling will lead to the transformer(s)... somewhere...

It's a B&Q type kit.

There will be one transformer supplying 3 lamps.

The one in the picture is the last lamp on the chain.

a8ab_1.JPG

i can follow the cable from the 1st one but i loose it when i get to a floor board joist.
the only thing i can think is that the when the lights were put in the floor boards in the bedroom were taken up

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back