Hammerite white gloss radiator paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m going to soon take off our radiator in the front room to give it a paint and a flush as I’m sure there’s some sludge inside and probably a chunk of metal inside as I can hear it every so often

I want to give it a lick of radiator paint but has anyone had experience with the hammerite radiator paint?

Ideally I’d just replace the radiator but it’s imperial and will be a pain to convert to metric so that can wait until I get a plumber in and change all radiators and pipe work, but for now I’d like to paint it.

If hammerite radiator paint isn’t great is there another one you recommend?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
measure it and post the sizes , you might be able to get a replacement a lot cheaper than you would think, painting it with anything just reduces the amout of heat it will radiate

measure it and post the sizes , you might be able to get a replacement a lot cheaper than you would think, painting it with anything just reduces the amout of heat it will radiate
The heat output being reduced is a concern.

It’s a type 22 radiator from new build back in 1999

Width: 1444mm
Height: 400mm

I do want everything metric at some point though because it’ll be easier and usually cheaper going forward but if you know somewhere reasonably priced that’ll be good to know for sure

Sponsored Links

I do want everything metric at some point though because it’ll be easier and usually cheaper going forward but if you know somewhere reasonably priced that’ll be good to know fo

I do want everything metric at some point though because it’ll be easier and usually cheaper going forward but if you know somewhere reasonably priced that’ll be good to know fo

Are you sure it is a type 22 ? if it is then painting it is a complete waste of time, if it is then this will fit

it’s a double convector but doesn’t have the nice grill covers and sides, isn’t that link you sent a normal metric radiator?

This is the radiator

Attachments

• C156EAF4-A566-488C-A54B-7B6DC0A9020F.jpeg
    C156EAF4-A566-488C-A54B-7B6DC0A9020F.jpeg
    288.9 KB · Views: 60
  • B8853D9E-C70C-4F7C-B20C-70D8B357EEF1.jpeg
    B8853D9E-C70C-4F7C-B20C-70D8B357EEF1.jpeg
    287.9 KB · Views: 57
rather than white, I favour satin finish in a colour to match the walls.

it is more durable and easy to clean than emulsion

I have never used that particular hammerite paint. I suspect that it is an oil based "enamel" type paint as opposed to the old skool hammerite cellulose based paints.

If you do not hang wet clothes on the rads, most oil based paints will be fine.

Traditional Hammerite is xylene based which means in practice that it can't be overbrushed, even once. I did try the radiator paint a good while ago and wasn't impressed.
I wasn't particularly aware of the heat retaining property though which makes complete sense!
John :)

painting it with anything just reduces the amout of heat it will radiate

Not saying you are wrong Ian, but I do find it hard to believe that a coat of paint will make any appreciable difference to the output characteristics. So far what paint to use, I did mine with a water based paint for woodwork, four years ago and they have been fine, no discolouration, no problem with heat transfer at all.

The spray is ok really - best if the aerosol is warmed in hot water first.
The brushing stuff is absolutely horrible - especially the hammer finish variety.
In Hammerites early days, they reckoned you could spray your fruit trees with waxoyl - 'kills aphids' I remember. o_O
John :)

It wouldn't be the end of the world if you just used oil-based undercoat then oil-based gloss.

Be sure to give it a sanding all over and prime any bare bits first though.

Not saying you are wrong Ian, but I do find it hard to believe that a coat of paint will make any appreciable difference to the output characteristics. So far what paint to use, I did mine with a water based paint for woodwork, four years ago and they have been fine, no discolouration, no problem with heat transfer at all.

I too doubt that a couple of coats of paint would make that much difference. Most rads work via convection rather radiation and people seldom paint the reverse side.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back