Hammie's Bathroom Refit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all!

Now that I've just about finished my loft conversion, I thought I better move onto the next item of business, the bathroom. This room was looking pretty dated when I moved in 2 years ago and I'd had to rip up the floor to replace the lead pipe, so it was looking pretty grim. This is my first attempt at a bathroom, so any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Anyhow, here's the room when I moved in...

First job was to start stripping out all the old tiles and fittings, I quickly realised that the tiles were stuck to the plaster much better than the plaster was stuck to the walls, so decided to fully remove all the plaster. The internal walls were plasterboard, each 8' x 4' sheet was held in place by just 6 drywall screws, I'm amazed it held all that time....

Next I fitted a false ceiling, so I could fit downlights (the loft conversion above prevented me from fitting them to the existing ceiling)...

I also discovered the lintel was supported on nothing more than a pebble at either end, so that was remortared in place...

Once the old plasterboard was removed, I fixed up the studwork to be as flat as possible, filled it with rockwool (for sound insulation) and covered with moistureboard...

For the flooring I've fitted 25mm WBP ply, underside sealed with acrylic primer...

And for the external walls I've gone with 20mm Marbox Multiboard, fixed in place with dot 'n dab and plastic 'spankers' (gave me a chuckle!)...

Bath supports in place...

Bath fixed in position...

Tiling and grouting around bath...

Since I haven't bought my taps yet, I fitted some rather fetching alernatives...

That's all for now, I'm now onto the shower side of the room now so expect more updates soon :)

Sponsored Links
Well the bathroom has been finished for 3 months now, I guess it's about time to update this log! Unfortunately I became rather forgetful taking pictures, but here's the ones I took.

With the bath in place, I removed the remainder of the bathroom, discovered a large section of wall crumbling away which was promptly sorted...

Chased out channels for the wiring and spanked in some more marmox...

Fitted the shower tray and started tanking the shower area (I used the BAL WP1 kit, dead easy, yet for some reason it always seems to be skipped!)...

Finished off the plumbing, my soldering skills could use some work...

Tiling around the shower...

Shower and enclosure fitted...

Door hung (I was pretty chuffed at my attempt here, first time hanging a door and it shuts better than all the ones my builder did!)...

Underfloor heating mat laid....

All done!

Oh and harlingtonstraker, you were right, all those taps needed was a polish!

:)

Sponsored Links
They're B&Q slate effect tiles...

http://www.diy.com/nav/decor/tiles/...loor-Tile-300-x-600mm-12257575?skuId=12788281

They're porcelain so needed cleaning and sealing first, and also were a bugger to cut! My diamond tipped drill bit wouldn't make a dent in them, ended up buying a little diamond core drill bit (6mm) in the end and even then it took about 5 minutes to drill each hole. Nice and grippy though, even with loads of water around.

How did you finish the transition between the floor and the wall? I've just done my bathroom, with similar combination of white wall / black porcelain floor. Wondering how to finish between them.

How did you finish the transition between the floor and the wall? I've just done my bathroom, with similar combination of white wall / black porcelain floor. Wondering how to finish between them.

I just cut the tiles as tight to the walls as I could (not particularly easy around the curved shower tray), filled the gap with grout (to stop the silicone sinking into the gap before it set) and put a tidy bead of silicone along it. I practiced the tiling, grouting and silicone-ing on a spare piece of plasterboard and some cheap tiles, definitely worth while since I'd never attempted any of this stuff before. I used electrical tape to mask the edges, applied the silicone, then spread and smoothed it out with a finger wetted with washing up liquid, then carefully peeled away the tape and gave it one more gentle smooth. Better than skirting imo, which tends to go mouldy after a few years if you're not careful.

Thanks! I got an email of your reply just as I had finished doing white sealant on mine. I took the plunge after seeing yours on here! It looks very neat now. I was thinking of looking for some black sealant, as I thought white would look daft, but I'm glad I didnt.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back