Hamster House project: Advice needed for a total beginner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I am a total beginner when it comes to DIY projects, I have no experience at all so I know this project is not going to be easy.

I would love to build this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/XXL-large...id=100034&rk=4&rkt=4&mehot=pp&sd=222188815286

For my Hamster, I have plenty of wood (old bed slats that I am sure can be used for this). Does anybody have any advice on how to begin this project? Or is it too ambitious for a beginner?

Any advice at all would be lovely :) Thank you.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Hi there that's a safe, low cost 1st diy project so give it a go! Why not it's all about fun, that's like a craft hobbies project, maybe start by setting up a workbench with all your tools to hand and nails screws glue and your project material then do some practice cutting an drilling an screwing some wood together see how it goes an after you are happy with that as a test play start by making the walls copying from the picture , then make the floor ,then the back wall, then maybe the top, you may start it another way or change halfway thru that's ok no rules or regs here ! the furniture inside you may make when the house is built, have fun ,don't rush ,if wood starts splitting just stop ,think why has it split? and start again with fresh wood , that's how you will learn So yes do it ,try it and send some pics in,any help you need we are all here and you may make another after the 1st prototype which would be even better !so thats improvement good luck in your first build.

Obviously I have an interest in this, so I've asked the List Elders to move your post to the Wood/Woodwork/Carpentry forum, where it belongs

Sponsored Links
Thank you Mr millimetre, your advice is really good, and it's good to know that it's achievable even as a first project. My Hamster would adore this home so I am really excited to make it for him.

geraldthehamster (great name :D) thank you I hadn't realised this was in the wrong place.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back