Hand held vacuum

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any recommendations, for occasional lightweight building cleanup but mainly just domestic stuff?

Sponsored Links
Thanks. Yeah I guess I need to decide whether to go the screwfix route or spend much more on a dyson which is presumably better in every way, but not to be used for building mess.

Sponsored Links
Get something from D&B.

I use this model
0454147-1.jpg

I wouldn't want to use a Dyson for hoovering up stuff like brick dust

With any of the bagless models, I think you will be better off brushing up as much as possible first.
I concur. Whilst I have access to Hilti and Makita industrial vacs at work, plus my own Metabo industrial vac when needs be, at home I make do with a pensioned-off Dyson DC02. It has sufficient suck, but the capacity is low and the filter clogs depressingly quickly when vacuuming fine stuff like plaster dust, MDF, sanding dust, etc. The way to make it work for me has been to build a plywood drop box and mount one of those cheap plastic cyclone "pre-extractors" between the tool and the vacuum. Whilst a great improvement I still don't think it's as good as a class-L industrial vac. In the past i found that attempting to use a domestic vacuum (even a so-called "shop vac" - in my case a Goblin) to vacuum-up sanding dust from plasterwork simply resulted in the fine dust going into the vacuum at one end and being blown straight back out the back of the vacuum into the room having passed straight through the cloth bag and filter. I feel that this is because many domestic vacuums don't have sufficiently good filtration that they can catch the fine stuff, although maybe the newer ones with HEPA filters will be better

Just remember to use "water knock down" to reduce airborne dust on hard floors! (won't quite work on carpets, however)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back