Hanging a boxing bag

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a go at hanging my bag the other night and gave up cus it was becoming a mess.
I tried several hooks but it was plaster I had screwed into so that didnt work, I tried to make a hole from one side to the other
000032029.jpg

000032034.jpg

I thought that there was wood behind the plaster but I get the feeling there is nothing that will support the weight.
The ceilings are really hard, it's a concrete and steel construction.
The door ways have thick wooden planks along the top but you can guarantee I would punch or knee the door frame within minutes :LOL:

Any suggestions please?

Sponsored Links
That arch is likely to be just plasterboard and timber construction.

Is the whole room painted that colour?

It needs to hang off a joist in the ceiling - or some structural support.

That arch is likely to be just plasterboard and timber construction.

Is the whole room painted that colour?

It needs to hang off a joist in the ceiling - or some structural support.
Thanks
Yeah, it was my exes choice to make it that colour, my room is much prettier!

How do I find a joist or structural support?

Some drilling. :LOL: There are "stud finders" on the market which detect changed in thickness of a material, but they are no good on lath and plaster ceiling. If you do have a concrete ceiling, the whole thing is a structural support I expect, but I dont know of any fixings that would hold such a heavy weight as you propose.

Since your ex made the decor decisions and you might be redecorating soon, you could re-structure that arch to take the weight, but you'd need to take at least one side of board off it. Re-boarding it is easy enough, and that woodchip stuff is still readily available (unfortunately). It looks like someone made a hash job of the arch to start with anyway, and the woodchip was there before the arch. (Is it an arch??? it looks too straight to be an arch)

Sponsored Links
I hung a bag a couple of years ago in my spare room. Got a piece of 2.5" x 2" timber sitting across 2 of the joists. Got a piece of angle iron the same length and screwed this along the top corner. Then got a long eye-bolt through the ceiling up through the timber and through one of the holes in the angle iron , hefty washer and two nuts.

Takes the weight of a bag, even takes my 15st on a pull-up bar (well it would if i could do a pull up these days) - even takes a hanging seat.

(can you still get angle iron these days?)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back