Hanging lights without drilling into wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Want to hang Christmas lights around the top of this block of flats (half the block). Can stick onto pvc of windows and downpipes, but I'd like to put them up
without drilling into wall.

Any suggestions ?

20211203_131229.jpg
20211203_131146.jpg
20211203_131128.jpg
20211203_131115.jpg

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
A series of suitably heavy weights on the inside of the buttress/ roof, with some rope/ string thrown over to where you want to suspend the lighting. Buckets filled with water, might do as the weights, if the water is kept topped up.

If it’s just lightweight lights then some coat hangers would work but for extra strength I would be tempted to make hooks out of aluminium flat stock .
Basically a butchers’ hook with a wide end and small end, possibly with a hole drilled in the parapet /inside piece
Then you could use a (stainless?) bolt through the aluminium with a nut, screwed in so the assembly tightens against the brickwork.

once you have made one, you could knock out 10/20 in no time

Christmas lights are not all heavy, the coat hangers sound ideal

Black cable clips nailed into the mortar line

They will have limited ability to support any weight, particularly a long string of Christmas lights should the wind get up. Further, they do tend to not work that well into hard mortar, best limited to use into wood. Hard to get in to mortar, very easy to pull out.

Get on roof , use wire coat hangers cut to form hooks off the top of the parapet .
Hook onto the inside of parapet? Hope they dont get blown off. Will gaffer tape to any PVC on way round too

On this sort of job Skyhooks would be perfect, just ask at any builders merchants(y)
or just use cable clips as used by 99% of normal people.

They are in very short supply at the moment, they have had a world wide rush on them.
Nah, you are looking in the wrong place, try the right place...

When I was last on a Carillion job every first fix tradesman was required to have at least two of them in his kit (I kid you not)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back