Hanging loftroll

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I'd like to use loftroll insulation vertically in a timber frame wall. I know it's not designed to keep it's shape in that orientation so am wondering about the best way to secure it. I'm thinking just stapling the top & maybe at the edges a bit (I can't do anything at the back and front as there will be a breather membrane & vapour barrier there, respectively), but before I experiment does anyone have any suggestions for a good way to do it? I'm wondering if the stapling will end up "bunching" the insulation so it's not as effective as it should be, or maybe it will even just tear away from the staples over time.

Thanks,
Adam

Sponsored Links
Friction between the studs will hold it in place both till you board the wall and subsequently. If you pack it quite tight vertically it will minimise any settlement.

Cavity batts are easier to work with than rolled rockwool.

I've used both, cut them slightly oversize and squash them in, I then use a couple of lengths of duct tape stapled to the insides of the next stud if I'm not going to be putting the plasterboard on for awhile and they've always stayed in place fine.

IMG-20230824-WA0000.jpg

That's the last one I did, it was done with alot of offcuts so there's alot more tape than I'd usually use, normally it would just be 2 horizontal lengths.

Sponsored Links
if its compressed say 100mm in a 76mm space the friction may or may not be enough [like my shed nearing 20 years old ]
but tape as such iff 100mm in a 100mm space may fail over time as the weight takes the insulation down [slumps ]

now i have very vague memories including staples each side in my shed but cant remember
if you do use mechanical fixings would need gathering off fiberglass to give thicker material crammed in to fill the space rather than stretched and thin

He spent £30 on gaffer tape and additional labour, the same as buying the equivalent batts. :mrgreen:
Are you kidding? The batts advertised for timber frame are nearly 5 times more per m2 than the loftroll! For my garden room that works at £450 difference (& my labour is effectively free)

Adam

Last edited:
have you tried looking at 19x38mm tile batons cheep as chips and treated --- 450 sounds a lot perhaps half that ??

my labour is effectively free
Interesting valuation of what your time is worth ;)

Agree with fitting slightly thicker (eg 100mm roll in a 75mm stud) but don't "pack it in quite tight" - the effectiveness of wool insulation diminishes as you flatten it because it's the air trapped between the fibres that does the insulating. I've always left mine to expand for a while before use(until the entire roll on the floor for 10 minutes before fitting)

If you do think you'll get slump (eg 100 roll in 100 wall) you can cut it slightly longer and at the top fold it and trap it between a screwed batten, then fit another bit or wool (or better, PIR to compensate for the batten).

Side cross-section cut view of the wall:

1697952960796.png

Sheathing(brown), wool(yellow) and plasterboard (grey) and at the top the top rail (orange) with batten (orange) screwed (black) through trapping the wool and small slice of PIR(purple) (or more wool)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back