Hanging onto dot and dab... part 2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So after my previous poor attempt of haning a mirror and appreciating all the help on here I have decided to have another stab at DIY, this really isnt for me :(:eek:o_O but I'm persisting, gotta learn somehow and if that means making mistakes then so be it (until I cause big damage and realise that it really most definitely isnt my bag.)

Now this time I'm hanging a frame that isnt exactly heavy duty but will of course have things on it.

The fixings I got with it wouldnt be good enough because of the dot and dab thing before hitting block (or at least that's what I took away from the previous thread but could be wrong)...

So I bought some hammer fixings no 8 * 120mm by Fischer after a recommendation.

I'm now regretting it as I really dont think they need to be 120mm... but alas, under the pressure of the mrs I went ahead and gave it a go...

Drilled in and as it was getting to the perfect point the drill seemed to finish the block and lurched forward to the wall..

Why would that be? It's like I've got through to the other side? What have I ****ed up this time?

Attachments

• 15759227154562148697226038657910.jpg
    15759227154562148697226038657910.jpg
    365.4 KB · Views: 311
Sponsored Links
Well the bricks are typically only 100mm wide so yeah, you've probably just broken through into the cavity. No big deal.

I'd personally prefer to have the expanding bit mid-depth of the brick as the drill may have blown a bit of the back face of the brick as it exited, not leaving much for it to grab onto. But once it's in there and expanded, it definitely wont come back out and you're not going to be hanging a huge weight on these unless you like putting your gold bars on display?

Whack it in, give it a tug, if you can't pull it out, you're good to go.

Last edited:
Hammer fixing way to large for little shelf, only needs 70-80mm screw in standard plugs.

Sponsored Links
How heavy roughly will the total weight be?

It looks light enough that using duopower or Uno's into the plasterboard would suffice

Hammer fixings is way overkill

What ever you do make sure it is straight! Or your other half will be letting you know it's not for a very long time!

So I messed up with the hammer fixings. Fair enough. Lesson learned. Since I started I thought I may as well do the second hole the same since whilst overkill people said it would be fine...

Hole went through a treat, no issue. Put the plug in, start screwing the screw in and as its bearing where I need it the plug starts rotating with every turn, so I'm guessing for some reason the hole is too big, dont understand why as everything was done the same as the other.

Next thing I know the plugs gone deeper into the wall...

What now?

I'm really not cut out for this malarkey. Still trying though ha.

Yep, definitely not my bag this. Drilled a couple of mm to the left of where I need to be. Wouldn't even fit on if the fixing had gone in nicely. WTF do I do now other than cry/laugh/give up.

You don't screw in hammer fixings , you hammer them in hence the name....

You will need to start again a little higher/lower/left/right of the holes you have already made and fill those ones in

Always measure twice and offer the shelf up if you can to check and dont forget to make sure it's level

You don't screw in hammer fixings , you hammer them in hence the name....

You will need to start again a little higher/lower/left/right of the holes you have already made and fill those ones in

Always measure twice and offer the shelf up if you can to check and dont forget to make sure it's level

The one thing I managed was level. Got everything else wrong.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/easyfix-...kCid5ByIQfVg1sLRM8hRGLWKjHcm3BVRoCdYAQAvD_BwE

So I should have hammered those in.....

So, I'm gonna go lower. How do I fill the two holes I've created? What should I use for block?

The one thing I managed was level. Got everything else wrong.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/easyfix-...kCid5ByIQfVg1sLRM8hRGLWKjHcm3BVRoCdYAQAvD_BwE

So I should have hammered those in.....

So, I'm gonna go lower. How do I fill the two holes I've created? What should I use for block?

Yes those should be hammered in, they are designed to be quick and easy to install

Thought you were drilling through plasterboard into block? If so any bog standard filler will do

https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-interior-ready-mixed-filler-white-off-white-1kg/555gt

This will do the job

Yes those should be hammered in, they are designed to be quick and easy to install

Thought you were drilling through plasterboard into block? If so any bog standard filler will do

https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-interior-ready-mixed-filler-white-off-white-1kg/555gt

This will do the job
That will do even if I have gone 100mm through the block? How does it push through to fill out the hole? Or do i only need to fill the plaster board hole for appearance?

Thanks for the help

Just filling in the plaster board is fine

I've never used those fixings but they look dolike they will do the job

If you are worried about the hole you punched through the block then squeeze some mastic into the hole to seal it before applying filler to make good

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back