Hanging pendant light above island.RSJ/UB in the way.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
Not sure if this is the right forum.(Mods please move if incorrect forum)

I have a smallish island and there is an RSJ above it.Due to the location and the way it is set up I am unable to move the island.How do i attach a hanging pendant light without drilling the beam.I have run out of ideas,and Mr Google does not show up any ideas.

Please could someone advice me/or find me some sort of technique whereby i could hang these directly above the island.The beam is already boxed in so i do not mind removing a bit of plasterboard and patch it up.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
If you can't get a cavity fixing and the cable in the plasterboard beneath the beam ....

Move the pendant

Choose a different fitting

Construct a small projection from the ceiling and make a feature of it

Apologies.I was meant to say the boxing from the beam have now been removed.It is a chunky beam running in the same direction of the island.
Woody:Could you please tell me how you would hang a pendant light from a middle of the beam.My worry is the pendant will be too heavy for the double layer of plasterboard which was attache with plasterboard adhesive.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I can't understand why you would want to fit a pendant, to a beam which is already projecting from a ceiling. Don't you think that it would look a bit odd?

Pendants dont weigh much so could potentially be fixed with Gripit fixings, easifix plugs, Wall Dog screws, or toggles.

dont know how familiar you are with different fixings that are available.
you say you have removed the 2 layers (fire integrity) of plasterboard from the beam (do you mean removed but going to be replaced) if so why not in the area that the pendant is required replace the 1st layer with 12mm ply (say a piece 100mm x 100mm ) this you can fix to your beam with a couple or three tec screws (self drilling screws for fixing to metal) (careful were that cable is though)then overlay with the top plasterboard. you now have a good bit of timber in there to fix to ( use nothing longer than 25mm to fix pendant though)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back