Hanging Wallpaper to an opening without architrave

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I want to line a wall prior to painting as the wall has been previously papered and not good enough just to paint over.

We have an opening into a garage conversion that does not have any architrave around it, so I have nothing to cut into. The garage room has been painted direct onto the plaster as the walls are new, but I'm worried that when lining the walls at some point I will have a raw edge of paper that will tend to be caught and damaged when using the opening.

Can anyone suggest a way to get around this or should I just put some architrave around the opening even though there is no door and I think it will look odd.

Sponsored Links
With areas like this i use a utility knife with the snap off blades. These are very sharp. If you paper so that the paper is overhanging the opening by a few inches, slide the knife following the edge of the opening down through the paper at 45 degrees whilst holding the paper with the other hand.
Because you are cutting at 45 degrees it cuts the paper edge back a couple of mm from the wall edge. When its painted up this stops it getting caught with clothing etc.
Hope you can understand this . :LOL:

Thanks for that, That will look much better.

I have also heard people taking fine sandpaper and feathering the edge to nothing so the blend between the paper and the wall is less pronounced.

So I think I will try your approach.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
You can do that but you have to be careful not to bring the paper off again. You could rub a bit of caulking over the edge aswell and smooth off with a wet cloth. Then paint it all when dry.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back