Hardibacker onto plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I need help with a problem.I need to tile in a shower/bathroom and want to use hardibacker onto existing plaster board. Problem is, the plaster board appears to be made of hollow sections and has only one upright in the middle! Can I use gripfill and plug and screw the boards directly onto it? The wall concerned separates the bathroom from the kitchen. Conversion of this old victorian building to flats were done by John Wayne and co. in the 70's.

Sponsored Links
From what you describe...
You have a single skin wall between bathroom and kitchen..I.e.. Paramount cardboard p/board...

If you have...then if you rip it down you will be exposing all your electrical points behind your kitchen wall sockets....

If you don't have any existing tiles on the wall..??...

Then yes you can overboard with backerboard...

I would run the b/ boards the opposite way off your p/boards tho....across the wall not up the wall....you can use a good grab adhesive and then fixing through or you could use a thinnest flexiable adhesive onto the wall then backerboards and screw fixing thro..

Thanks - in the end I took the bull by the horns and ripped it all out and will be fixing a proper stud wall. The corner where the shower is going was a bit crap anyway and if a jobs worth doing then do it properly! What a pig to remove though and sooo heavy! Only one light switch to worry about so that wasn't so bad.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back