hardpoint saws

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We all use hardpoints but they do have limitations I find.
I still use a sharpenable rip saw for cutting along the grain as the hardpoints tend to be a universal but in reality they aren't really that good along the grain. Recently I asked our storeman to see if he could find a hardpoint rip saw but to no avail.
Question is does anybody know of such a beast?

Sponsored Links
Bahco 244+ (Barracuda) saws seem to cut along the grain pretty cleanly, but it still takes a whole lot of doing. They're good all-round saws though.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your help, but it looks like there just isn't a hardpoint saw designed solerly for ripping save for those stumpy little japaneese efforts and even they have quite small teeth.
My rip saw has reasonable sized teeth , around 5 to the inch and so cuts fairly quickly, but I can resharpen.
Incidently, if any of you are ever in Birmingham and happen to look up at the dome on st. Philips cathedral you'll see (well underneath the lead) rafters that were cut by hand. We replaced quite a few around 15 years ago and tried different power tools but found that a handsaw was actually easier to cut the curve with. Yes a bandsaw would have been ideal but the powers that be wouldn't go for one :( leaving us to shape them on site by hand.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back