New names for saws?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When I first started in the carpentry business (when you used to have to sharpen your saws), I used to have a cross-cut saw and a rip-saw, amongst others. Now I use "disposable" Spear & Jackson Predator saws, (they being the best of all the modern ones I've tried). But why are they now called "first fit" and "second fit"? What happened to the old terminology?

Sponsored Links
good point, either that or they seem to be referred to as fine tooth etc with no mention of cross cut or rip.
You dont see many saw doctors around anymore either. We had one near us for years whose just shut down because theres little market for resharpening due to cost and disposibility

I thought that was old terminology.....

I think they are now called 12volt, volt and 18 volt and 24volt :rolleyes:

I still got my saw horse, I don't know why though! Better hold on to my rip-saw then, can you not buy it anymore?

As Hitachimad pointed out that power tools had taken over.

Sponsored Links
just made two new ones last week still two of the most useful tools I own, they don't last anywhere near as long nowadays with the extensive use of skilsaws

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back