Saw Sharpening

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Interesting to read the recent chisel sharpening thread (I still use my oilstone in a wooden box) and it made me think " how many tradesmen still sharpen their own Disston saws"?

Sponsored Links
What's the point when you can buy a brand new blade for 7 quid?

Because the saws you buy cheap today are useless for quality joinery, and I can sharpen 4 saws with a 4 quid file in 15 minutes per saw.

Because the saws you buy cheap today are useless for quality joinery, and I can sharpen 4 saws with a 4 quid file in 15 minutes per saw.
How much do you charge for your hourly rate £60 p/hr, thats £15 of labour. ;)

Sponsored Links
Like probably everyone else I use hardpoints but I do have a few saws that I still sharpen.
I have tenon and dovetail saws in the workshop and also a half rip simply because it still cuts quicker than any hardpoint (why does no one make an actual hardpoint rip saw ?).
Other than that I have an old disston that gets used very occasionaly and the tip is less than an inch deep so useful for starting a cut in really confined or akward places.
Oh and just for the record I also sharpen drill bits, hss and masonary.

I still have a couple of Tyzack tenon saws with the heavy brass back I must sharpen them one of these days,can you still buy Nicolson saw files ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back