Hardwired Oven replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Our single oven which is hardwired has died.

The wiring goes to a cooker socket as shown in attached pic chased in through the wall from underneath.

New oven and I think the majority on the market come with plugs, I think only a couple of budget options like kenwood at currys might require hardwiring.

So my question is what would be easier I don't really want to drill through worktop or damage kitchen to plug new one in, should I just go for a budget cheap one and replicate the wiring currently ? I noticed 2 budget options in currys one says needs 13 Amp hardwiring and one say 16 Amp hardwiring how would I know which one ?

Mrs would obviously want a brand but they come with plug. Just want to know what you guys think as easiest option before I buy.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Pics attached one of socket and one of current oven details

Attachments

• IMG_20230307_115230.jpg
    IMG_20230307_115230.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_20230307_1152431.jpg
    IMG_20230307_1152431.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 52
what should i be looking at for install cost or is it easy enough to do myself if just replacing ?

Sponsored Links
Have you pulled the current oven out and checked behind it?

Id imagine the current wiring runs from your switch to a cooker connection plate behind the oven, if it does this could be removed and a socket fitted in its place or just cut the plug off new oven and wire it in.

If there is no cooker connection plate and just the current oven cable enters the wall then you could cut that cable and use it to install a socket or cooker connection plate behind the oven controlled by the switch.

New oven and I think the majority on the market come with plugs, I think only a couple of budget options like kenwood at currys might require hardwiring.
I think you have that the wrong way round.

The cheaper ones are the ones that will come with plugs and expensive ones will require hardwiring.

Thanks thomp1983 had a look behind, nothing directly behind but there is a really long electrical cable that runs behind couple of cupboards to the right and then into the attached pic. I guess this would mean pulling the cupboards out as in very awkward place. Or could you cut the wire and use it to place a socket right behind the cooker ? or could you use this same wire and cut it to hardwire a cheap hardwire oven ?

Attachments

• 1678191794383.jpg
    1678191794383.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 39
I think you have that the wrong way round.

The cheaper ones are the ones that will come with plugs and expensive ones will require hardwiring.
was just looking on currys to be fair and £150 Logik and £200 kenwood need hardwiring as prices go up hotpoint etc come with plug

That white 'box' is the cooker connection unit, I'd just wire your new cooker in there, might be awkward but your only doing it once

Thanks so i guess it's a case of getting another hard wired unit and wiring it in as the easiest option rather than plug version.

Buy whichever oven you like and just cut the plug off it and wire to the connection plate

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back