Has anyone got a top tip

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For removing old B.S.1010 w.h.basin taps, with the square lugs, and fitted into square holes with putty???

I have tried all the usual tools, but can't budge the back nuts.
Other than cutting and grinding the top of the tap off, What options do I have?

And please don't suggest, tap restorer kits. I am looking to remove the taps,

Thank in advance

Sponsored Links
18 inch stilsons on tap and 18 inch spanner on bottom of box spanner

New basin?

Sponsored Links
When the tap tail is in a ressece about 3 to 4 inch deep it a bit difficult to just apply heat to the back nut only.

I cut a hole in an asbestos mat and fitted it over the tap against the ceramic of the basin - then heated the tap from above :idea: I still have the mat with the hole in it

Does that work? I would have thought the tail would expand more than the back nut! as more heat to tail.
How did you get the mat over the spout.

I Have in the past removed the bonnet of the tap and applied heat direct into the tap to no avail,
ie The whb split

buck - use a hot-air paint stripper to heat the offenders up (this'll not only 'soften' the "putty" {which might be decades old plumbers mate} but also introduce a bit of expansion to break the tap/nut jam) then apply a box-spanner to the back nuts AND a Stiltson to the tap body. IMO a box spanner is less likely to slip than a basin wrench, plus extra welly can be applies via an extended tommy-bar.

I read on a forum thread somewhere that these Bearhug wrenches are good, not tried one myself though. Too much heat & you may smash the basin.

Cut the slot in the backnut with a Dremel, if you can get it in? Then use a hammer & slotted screwdriver to open up the backnut.

Got a set of jaw-droppers, they have been pretty handy.

OP have you tried using a penetrating spray (rocol) or crack-it release spray on the backnuts? Maybe worth a try.

Hit the spout lightly back and forth with a hammer a few times , this will loosen the red lead/plaster or putty that was used to set them in..............................if the basin breaks then buy a new one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back