Has my power socket got an earth on back plate?

Sponsored Links
Fair enough. I was actually (unnecessarily) thinking about accessories more generally (which don't all have earth terminals, hence don't all have earthed screws).
That's understandable, but not what I was suggesting, as I stated dictated be the plate being used.
Having said that, as you will be aware, I am personally not all that happy with reliance on faceplate screws to earth a metal backbox.
I am and your not the only one who prefers that additional protection, but it is not a requirement, although good practise.
Although one obviously should not be removing a faceplate and pulling it forward whilst a circuit is live,
No, one should not be removing covers on live accessories, but we know this happens!
if one does that and the pulling forward causes the live conductor to become disconnected from the accessory (which most of us have seen happen), that lose L conductor could come in contact with the (unearthed) backbox, leaving one confronted by a lot of live metal. For that reason, I personally always have an explicit (wired) earth/CPC connection to any metal backbox.
I understand and agree with your concerns, and on metallic plates I practise the methods you do, even though it is still not a requirement when solid/fixed lugs are present on metallic back boxes. And as a primary precaution, advocate isolation and proving dead before meddling.

if one does that and the pulling forward causes the live conductor to become disconnected from the accessory (which most of us have seen happen), that lose L conductor could come in contact with the (unearthed) backbox, leaving one confronted by a lot of live metal. For that reason, I personally always have an explicit (wired) earth/CPC connection to any metal backbox. As for 'not being required', that's obviously true - but, although the regs often seem to be over-cautious, this is, IMO, a contrary example of them being somewhat 'under-cautious' (at least, less cautious than I personally am)!
I understand and agree with your concerns, and on metallic plates I practise the methods you do, even though it is still not a requirement when solid/fixed lugs are present on metallic back boxes.
Fair enough, but the theoretical risk I was describing exists just as much with a plastic plate as a metal one, so I'm not sure why you only do it with metal plates!
And as a primary precaution, advocate isolation and proving dead before meddling.
Of course, but we know it happens - and dare I suggest that most of us have probably done it in our time (particularly with plastic plates)?!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
A cheaper alternative is a peice of 1.5 3 core flex usually sold by the metre and strip the earth out, even salvage from a dumped appliance like a washing machine

Take your bit of 3183Y cable (1.5mm²). Thats flexible cable.

strip back the cable to reveal the three wires inside.

You will notice that they are all different colours. Throw away the brown and blue ones, you dont need them. You only need the one coloured green and yellow.

Thats the one you want. You can then connect it between the back box and the earth connector on the socket's back plate.

Why is this so hard to understand??

PS you dont need to do it in any case.

... Just going back to this picture , i am at work so cant check and i cant recall , but apparently there should be TWO earth wires in the green sleeve , what would be the issue if there wasnt ?
It could be a potentially major issue if there is only one earth wire. However, there's no point in crossing that bridge unless you come to it. If (as is probably unlikely) you find that there is only one earth wire, let us know and then we can discuss the situation and advise you accordingly.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back