Has this wood been treated for woodworm or rot with some chemicals?

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Alot of the wood in our barn has signs of woodworm and has previous been painted with something. Does anyone have an idea what it may be?

There are also some pine battens that have something green on them...any ideas?

Attachments

• 20230219_133702.jpg
    20230219_133702.jpg
    506.8 KB · Views: 52
  • 20230219_133745.jpg
    20230219_133745.jpg
    570.4 KB · Views: 46
  • 20230219_133749.jpg
    20230219_133749.jpg
    649.2 KB · Views: 56
  • 20230219_133805.jpg
    20230219_133805.jpg
    656.2 KB · Views: 59
Sponsored Links
Looks like Cuprinol wood preservative. The green marker dye helps you to see where you have slapped it on

The brown stuff might be a coal-tar product, like creosote. It does not appear to have worked.

Both are intentionally toxic and in some countries you are not allowed to burn treated wood.

The brown stuff might be a coal-tar product, like creosote. It does not appear to have worked.

Both are intentionally toxic and in some countries you are not allowed to burn treated wood.

Is that also something to consider if we want to sand the wood?

Sponsored Links

It used to be fairly common to coat timber in barns with tar, bitumen or creosote as a preservative (whatever was the cheapest) - hence the black colour that some old beams have, which isn't age as some people suppose. Tar and bitumen clog up sandpaper double quick, creosote isn't quite as bad. Personally I wouldn't sand anything with a preservative on/in it, or burn it for that matter. On big refurbs the way old timber is normally "refinished" is to have is shot blasted with something like coarse ground cherry pits or walnut kernels (not sand or glass). As John says, though, the damaged parts need to be cut out and replaced first

I suppose so, but I haven't seen it mentioned. Why would you want to sand carcassing timber? The damaged parts need to be cut out.
So far I've only found one piece that was really brittle and damaged. The other parts look and sound solid despite the evidence of woodworm.
It used to be fairly common to coat timber in barns with tar, bitumen or creosote as a preservative (whatever was the cheapest) - hence the black colour that some old beams have, which isn't age as some people suppose. Tar and bitumen clog up sandpaper double quick, creosote isn't quite as bad. Personally I wouldn't sand anything with a preservative on/in it, or burn it for that matter. On big refurbs the way old timber is normally "refinished" is to have is shot blasted with something like coarse ground cherry pits or walnut kernels (not sand or glass). As John says, though, the damaged parts need to be cut out and replaced first
This area will remain in use as a barn, so how it looks isn't of much concern to us really. But I'll be sure to find all damaged areas.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back