Has Yell.com screwed up?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Here is a post I have just sent to Yell:

I am very disappointed with the new search methods Yell is now using.

At one time people would look for boiler cleaning/servicing and they would get advertisers for this category. Now they get boiler spares, insurance schemes, plumbers and many other irrelevant functions.

In my case this has gone from a single page of options to four pages.

This may allow Yell to claim they are putting more adverts in front of people, but this is pointless if the adverts are irellevant and are there just because a phrase in the advertisers box matches something arbitary in Yell's search criteria.

The search methods now bring up so many options that the user is swamped by the choice.

"More choice is better?" Think about a supermarket when you are in a hurry but don't quite know what you want. The choice is overwhelming, and you may well leave with either nothing or something you did not really want.

Yell should put itself in the users and advertisers position, not in the position of a statistics driven marketing department when the "bums-on-seats" mentality is seen as giving improvements.

I would be happy to discuss this further, as if there is no change, then Yell is no use to me and I may as well spend my money elsewhere.

Getting an advert in front of someone does not translate into a sale.

It seems Yell have now "responded" to advertisers requests to invoke these changes, and they can now see how many times people have had the opportunity to see my advert, but as far as I can see, they have spent loads of time working out how to get more adverts "in front" of more users, but it is more like delving into the "junk box" than looking in the "brass wood screws box".

If any of you advertise with yell, I would check on what people now see, you might have a surprise.

Sponsored Links
I put a qtr column in the pages a few years ago. Complete waste of money. 850 DTD.

They put it via one of their phone numbers so they could track the response. When it came to renewal, they said, how did it go? Let's have a look..................................Oh. Not too good really. Want another year?

ARRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've never minded investing in advertising or promotion if I get a return, but it is one of the few areas where you have no guarantee, no money back offer if you are not satisfied. Nothing. Just tough excrement.

Sponsored Links
Back