Has your relationship changed towards Russians ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
It's probably more than a vibe. My wife is non-British and experiences a lot of xenophobia, and her country is a peaceful one.
Most recent was being interrogated by 2 women hairdressers about her right to live and work in the UK. She's been here 25 years, is a British citizen, has family and paid more tax than the average hairdresser, but yet they still felt it was ok to ask a lot of personal questions and a not very pleasant manner. Needless to say, that's another hairdressers struck off the list!

Some people are just nasty towards all foreigners, but especially nasty if for a moment they think they have a reason, eg. Russians, Muslims, refugees that might be criminals etc.
I bet your wife has experienced more since 2016

I had a customer who was Dutch -after brexit she got awful abuse from some close friends, when she made a critical comment about the govt one of them said "if you dont like it here you can fork off home"

yes I agree, I can just see her freeze when people suddenly ask her where she is from as an off topic question.

When they look horrified at the thought of her being Russian, she should say: "actually I arrived here on a boat and Im staying at the 5star Marriott around the corner for free"

Sponsored Links
Didn't see all this empathy in the Ukraine thread where blowing Russian tanks up with conscripts in them was relished.

The only difference I've noticed with russsians is that theyre getting less bang for their buck influencing the tory party. We should be freezing all the uk assets.

Blup

As an old bold cold warrior, I have always viewed the Russian state apparatus with deep suspicion, and always will. There was a glimmer with glasnost, but Russia is a dictatorship. We can slag off our own pollies on here till kingdom come (we do), but to try in any way to equate our government with theirs would be ridiculous. People in Russia daren't write an open post like this; opposition is not just sidelined, it's murdered. Russian people, the ones I get to see close up are rich and obnoxious ****s. I am sure ordinary people are... ordinary people.

You're going to have to explain that, because I don't know what you're getting at.
They say when you have to explain a joke then it's lost.
I just thought if Harry doesn't like Russians en masse and can take to a few individually then I thought it might help if they kept themselves 2metres apart if they met him en masse.
Dry as dust now but at least odds got it first time so it all wasn't a wasted effort.

Thank you for your great response. And yet for some reason my wife always gets asked what she thinks of Putin and Russian internal politics and she has no clue as she hasn’t lived there since she was a child.

It’s funny you should mention driving, we live in the village and obviously surrounded by single carriageways and small B roads, whenever her parents come over they are terrified it always ****es me off because they claim how dangerous the roads are even though I’m going like 40-50 mph…

Thanks. Your inlaws aren't correct. Statistically Russian roads are far more dangerous than British ones. Obviously the weather doesn't help in Russia, but Russians seem to be aggressive and adversarial when driving - or probably when doing other things too. Search Youtube for 'Russian car crash' videos - there are thousands. I'm always amazed to see their driving seems to often take no heed of the situation or risk - ie. barrelling through a busy junction at crazy speeds. Often there will be slow moving traffic and an out of control car travelling at great speed suddenly appears from nowhere wiping out several other cars/trams/people. Almost like the driver has had enough of life. I suppose living in somewhere as unremittingly grim as Russia can do that to a person.

Some people are just nasty towards all foreigners, but especially nasty if for a moment they think they have a reason, eg. Russians, Muslims, refugees that might be criminals etc.

I like to be discerning and judge on facts and my experiences. Not be influenced by how others want me to think. It's called survival. Immigrants fall into only two groups depending on their race and/or country of origin; those who will be an asset to The UK and those who are statistically higly likely to be trouble, a drain on resourses - often both. No other categories exist. I resent the presence of the second group and always will. I won't engage with them. I'm far from alone in these views.

They say when you have to explain a joke then it's lost.
I just thought if Harry doesn't like Russians en masse and can take to a few individually then I thought it might help if they kept themselves 2metres apart if they met him en masse.
Dry as dust now but at least odds got it first time so it all wasn't a wasted effort.
A bit of a stretch imho, but thanks anyway (y)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back