Have builders quotes - thoughts please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have quotes for a single storey 5m x 5m extension with a pitched roof and vaulted ceiling. There is a cantilever corner requiring some steel work, and quite a bit of glass (bi folds, windows, glazed apex). The quotes do not include any of the glazing which will be done by a separate company. The builder will just leave openings.

I have had a few quotes, the lowest being £24k, the highest being £40k and others at £31k, £35k and £37k.

All builders have been recommended by friends/colleagues.

The one I am going with is the £31k due to the good recommendations and viewing an example of another extension he has built.

I am just really puzzled by the differential in price for what seems a fairly straightforward job.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Different builders earn different rates, can/cannot afford to turn work away, buy materials at different rates etc etc etc. I think that's actually quite a good spread of figures.

I did a simple extension, approx 6x2 on the rear of the house. got three quotes, lowest was £17k and highest was £28k. difference being level of detail paid.

Went with the cheapest quote and now regret it. Was a half decent builder, i.e. block work, roof lintels and steels all ok, but the detail was poor. (e.g. Installing a velux roof window above where cupboards would be, and saying that I never told him cupboards would be there... tried to keep this up until I showed him a copy of the drawing he had, and pointed to the location on the plan, placed there because of the cupoards...)

If I had gone with a higher quote, I believe more time would have been spent on thinking things through and getting it right first time. you get what you pay for... so think you've don the right thing regarding spread of quotes and also views of example work.

Sponsored Links
I did a simple extension, approx 6x2 on the rear of the house. got three quotes, lowest was £17k and highest was £28k. difference being level of detail paid.
Great post Andy and hugely relevant.

It is true to say that you can appear to have two similar buildings but the quality and attention to detail can differ enormously.

There are a huge number of things that the builder can do that can effect the quality and performance of a building. The small quality items that make a difference but are never seen, go on to make the building better. And it all starts from the foundations right up to the finished article.

Some builders have a conscience others do not.

I have decided to go with one of the mid quotes at £31k

My next door neighbour is a builder who I have know for 20 years, and I wanted him to do it, but he is booked up for next 8 months.

When I told him who I was going to use, he laughed, and said he knew him well, and if he ever wanted work doing, and he could not do it himself, he would use this guy.

My neighbour was also very ill a couple of years ago and out of action for 6 months, and he tells me this builder offered to help him out and lend him some of his workers to do some of his smaller jobs to keep his business going.

So he sound like a good choice, but I suppose time will tell!

If there's 1 thing I've learnt over the years friends family and neighbours and business do not mix under no circumstances now would I mix the 2 even with the best will in the world cross the ts dot the I.s there is always potential where building workand money is concerned for a good old fashioned falling out.

Build started 2 weeks ago. 10 m3 of concrete poured today.....

All going well so far !

Sorry if I am a bit late to contribute to this post.

I have heard that in some countries the lowest and highest costs are dismissed and the remainder of the Quotes can be looked at as being viable.

Sorry if I am a bit late to contribute to this post.

I have heard that in some countries the lowest and highest costs are dismissed and the remainder of the Quotes can be looked at as being viable.

An interesting point though in this country there is no requirement to do that. I have assessed and scored a number of multi million pound tenders and always found it sensible to calculate an average price and rule out any applicant that was say 10% cheaper than the average price. Often the cheaper and the most expensive quotes have not put the work into properly understanding and pricing your tender documents. Many constructors operate on the principle that if they don't have time to price up the works they will just put in a very expensive and highly speculative quote and just occasionally they are lucky enough to get this work. Of course on tenders of this value there are OJEU rules to follow and everything has to be done by the book because contractors are getting very litigious when not winning work. Often a quick interview with the contractor to gain their understanding of the project and the works they have priced reveals the holes in their quotation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back