Have I installed this correctly?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have put 12mm plywood onto the front face of stud wall so I have a good base for shower valve. I'm putting 12.5mm plasterboard above and below this so it will basically be flush ready to tile.

Have I installed the plywood correctly is it meant to be recessed?

I'm also doing the same for wall hung basin so want to know I'm doing it right. I was originally going to recess 18mm but thoughts it's easier with 12mm on front face?

Also, what fixings to use to connect the valve? Wall wil be 12mm thick + adhesive + tile

Pic below

15916397416612840676380664087906.jpg

Sponsored Links
You should inset the ply ,so it's flush with the studs ,then board over it with whatever you intend to tile onto.
If it's a horizontal bar type mixer ,use a fixing kit. The ones I use ,can be fitted onto the tiled surface ,so all you need to do is have the pipes coming thru ,level ,and correct distance apart.

You should inset the ply ,so it's flush with the studs ,then board over it with whatever you intend to tile onto.
If it's a horizontal bar type mixer ,use a fixing kit. The ones I use ,can be fitted onto the tiled surface ,so all you need to do is have the pipes coming thru ,level ,and correct distance apart.

Ah I thought that might be the case.

Yes I bought one off Amazon, where you just slide the fixers over the copper pipe then screw on the connector bar compression.

I'll recess it tomorrow. Do you use brackets to recess it or screw some timber onto the stud as a fixing point for ply wood?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
it’s not necessary as the tile is adequate to hold the shower fixing kit you described. if you do go the ply route though i’d definitely open the holes for the pipework to 18mm to allow you some adjustment.

it’s not necessary as the tile is adequate to hold the shower fixing kit you described. if you do go the ply route though i’d definitely open the holes for the pipework to 18mm to allow you some adjustment.

Okay cheers.

How about where the shower rail connects further up the wall? Would you provide support there? I'm having a larger shower head at the top and also a smaller pencil shower on the rail

Okay cheers.

How about where the shower rail connects further up the wall? Would you provide support there? I'm having a larger shower head at the top and also a smaller pencil shower on the rail
nop, just make sure the hole is slightly larger than the plug when your installing it. can get a bit hairy though if you land right on a tile edge. your choice

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back