Have I just bought some fake cable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I needed just two metres of 1.5mm flex went to Wilko my normal source but they no longer sell cables (at least my local one didn't). I ended up buying it from my local DIY shop which is usually very good but they tend to stock some cheap crap.

When I got it home something just didn't feel quite right it looks a little bit thin but for 1.5mm and I compared to some existing 1.5mm on an extension lead and that cable diameter looked about 1mm thicker but it might have been my eyes.

The brand on the cable is pamukkale kablo which seems Turkish. Anybody come across this brand before?

Sponsored Links
Keep in mind that the 1.5mm refer to the cross-section area - so 1.5mm2 cable diameter is 1.38mm.

Nozzle

Keep in mind that the 1.5mm refer to the cross-section area - so 1.5mm2 cable diameter is 1.38mm.
Each conductor of 1.5mm² flex usually has 30 strands, each of 0.25 mm diameter (which calculates as a total CSA of about 1.47mm ²).

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
It says it is 1.5mm but so many manufactures simply lie about the specs and get away with it, just look at the cheap £15 Ebay special 500w PC power supplies!.

There is no BS markings on it at all :(

Each conductor of 1.5mm² flex usually has 30 strands, each of 0.25 mm diameter (which calculates as a total CSA of about 1.47mm ²).

Kind Regards, John

Not counted but certainly doesn't seem to be 30 strands here! It really does look to me eye more what I would expect 1mm or 0.75mm flex to be.

It says it is 1.5mm but so many manufactures simply lie about the specs and get away with it, ...
You have far too short a length to be able to tell by measuring resistance with any instrument you're likely to have - so, if you're concerned, you'll have to count the strands and micrometer a few of them. As I recently wrote, the usual would be 30 strands each of about 0.25 mm diameter.

Kind Regards, John

No but doesn't it have to comply with BS standards in order to be sold in the UK? I am not sure what the law is in regarding cables.
I'm not sure, either - but my point was that a Turkish manufacturer presumably wouldn't emboss it with a BS number unless it were specifically made for the UK.

Kind Regards, John

We had some Turkish cable, two core flex. It was supplied with a load of beer pumps to connect them to the transformers. It was clearly made to a poor standard, and was a b1tch to strip! It was only for 24v AC, so went with it.

I am not sure what to do I suppose I best not risk it as it is to extend the washing machine flex so a quite a bit of current will flow through it. The problem is I only need 2 metres which limits where I can buy it from. B&Q and Screwfix both want well over £10 for 5 metres of Tower branded stuff.

I am sure I might have some where but it could be any where and the house is upside down at the moment due to all the work in the kitchen.

Not counted but certainly doesn't seem to be 30 strands here! It really does look to me eye more what I would expect 1mm or 0.75mm flex to be.
Unfortunately, counting strands alone (i.e. if you don't have a micrometer or suitable caliper gauge) would not really help you, particularly in comparing 1.5mm² with 1.0mm² - since the latter usually has 32 strands (but each of 0.2 mm diameter, rather than the 0.25 mm diameter of 1.5 mm²). 0.75 mm² usually has 24 strands of 0.2 mm diameter, whilst 1.25 mm² usually has 40 strands, each of 0.2 mm diameter.

How good a means of measuring low resistance do you have? If you put all three conductors in series (i.e. 6m total), I think you would expect to see a resistance of about 0.096Ω with 1.5 mm², about 0.138Ω with 1.0 mm² or about 0.186Ω with 0.75 mm².

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back