Have I messed up?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Been doing some of my extension roof today, and at the front the new roof sits below the existing verge by about 200mm. My plan is to do code 4 lead flashing tucked around the existing barge board and dressed down onto my new tiles (Anglias)
The existing is a dry verge which I was planning on removing and then putting back once the lead is in place.
I have felted and battened the new roof and lapped the felt about 200mm up the existing barge board.
However I've not touched the existing roof and I'm now wondering if I also need to strip some of the existing roof along the verge and put new felt in lapped down onto my new felt. I had assumed I didn't need to (existing felt is quite recent and good condition) but I'm now thinking I should make the whole thing continuously felted? Hope the question makes sense and any thoughts appreciated!
Cheers
John

Sponsored Links
Pic attached, I've lapped the felt up the barge board a bit but I don't know if I need to also strip and re felt the existing verge

Attachments

• IMG_20171001_095130.jpg
    IMG_20171001_095130.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 168
Sponsored Links
As far as I can tell racking my brain about this I think I should be ok, as long as the existing tiles are ok ... But would welcome any advice as this is a pretty common arrangement for an extension so hoping others who've done it can comment

should make the whole thing continuously felted?

No.

Leave the new membrane up the wall and run the flashing up the gable to be covered by those plastic verge covers and thats it.

You just need to secure or seal the top the flashing to the wall.

Thanks woody. I guess my only worry is if water somehow got in under the verge, then before it wouldn't matter as it would just leak into the soffit and no-one would know, whereas now it would end up inside the building. But then I guess water shouldn't be getting in there anyway. Mega paranoid doing this due to my lack of knowledge ;)

Thats why lead flashing is cut into a chase or stepped into bed joints

Thats why lead flashing is cut into a chase or stepped into bed joints

Yeah but in this case it'll be Tucked over the top of the existing barge board, should I trap it under the battens for security?

if you can get it under the battens of the old roof all the better. If the verge caps are coming off, why not take off the barge board too and flash up behind that.

Because the new battens are now trapping it in place, plus it's got an asbestos soffit which I wanted to leave alone.
I can easily trap the lead under the batten ends though , I just wasn't sure if I also had to mess with the felt, but looks like I am ok.
I'm gonna do the first bit and post a pic, really appreciate the advice guys thanks

I know where your coming from but taking the barge board off is not an option now, would mean trusses had to be moved, doesn't bear thinking about
I'll have to make it work somehow, maybe if I did a mortared cloaked verge with the flashing underneath it instead of the dry verge.
I have Definitely seen lead coming out from under a dry verge before which is why I though it'd work

if you can get it under the battens of the old roof all the better. If the verge caps are coming off, why not take off the barge board too and flash up behind that.

There is no barge board. What's there is the timber from the gable ladder, to which the plastic verge is fixed.

If the lead went up to the underside of the ladder, then the verge caps will cloak it

Picture with dry verge removed
So plan is lead tucked under the battens dressed down the white board and onto the new tiles below
Catlad Fair point about the dry verge not being water proof, but if water gets behind it then surely it would run out the bottom of the verge cap and down the lead on the outside so we're ok
But if the above is wrong then I could do a mortared verge

Attachments

• IMG_20171002_180055.jpg
    IMG_20171002_180055.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 115

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back