Have planning permission, can I alter a window to door without reapplying?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to start my extension and have plans passed and will be working under a building notice. I do not live in a conservation area. I have changed my mind about the new large picture window and now wish it to be patio doors. The doors will actually be 60cm narrower than the window, and that window was very tall as it started only 50cm from finished floor height so aesthetically it will look fairly similar with a near identical glazing area.

From reading other threads it appears as though I could change an existing window to a door without planning consent, just building control approval. Therefor my question is can I alter the window to a door on my yet to be constructed extension without applying for an amendment. I ask this because on another project I have previously had a complication with applying for an amendment and wish to avoid this if at all possible.

Sponsored Links
Unofficially, I would just go ahead and do it, planning wise.

I assume new window or door doesnt face neighbours

If you want apply, it sounds like a non material amendment.

Building regs, if you are doing part L under elemental values then the revised area needs to comply.

Adding Windows is usually permitted development, but sometimes they add a condition removing that right. Or obliging frosted glass. But probably on upstairs side facing walls etc. Check your planning permission approval carefully first.

Strictly, its an amendment to an approved plan and so would require permission - although this would most probably be via a "rider" on the original permission.

Casually enquire as a "what if?" question. If the council want any sort of fee for this, then just do it without asking. If not, then if you wanted to dot t's and cross i's then send a sketch in and have it formalised.

In other situations, say if you wanted a completely different window in a different place, then it may have a material impact on the design or the neighbours and as such would need more formal assessment by the planners. But not for what you have described above.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for replies. The window is to the front of the property, south facing with a view of the sea so will lead to a raised deck area. I have a very long front garden but as the land rises from the road the window/ door would be in full view of anyone walking along the lane. I have spoken to the council and just got this reply by email

"After checking with the planning officer they have confirmed that any changes of deviations from the approved plans would require further permission. You can apply for a non-material amendment application to establish whether the changes would be material or not but we cannot guarantee at this stage whether they would. If the changes are not considered to be non-material (which they may not be as front elevation is altering fairly significantly), you would need to apply for a further planning application."

Thanks for replies. The window is to the front of the property, south facing with a view of the sea so will lead to a raised deck area. I have a very long front garden but as the land rises from the road the window/ door would be in full view of anyone walking along the lane. I have spoken to the council and just got this reply by email

"After checking with the planning officer they have confirmed that any changes of deviations from the approved plans would require further permission. You can apply for a non-material amendment application to establish whether the changes would be material or not but we cannot guarantee at this stage whether they would. If the changes are not considered to be non-material (which they may not be as front elevation is altering fairly significantly), you would need to apply for a further planning application."

sounds about par for the course......non committal :):)

If you need to apply, they may be able to do it in 4 weeks, as that allows sufficient time for the revised drawings to be available for public consultation for the 4weeks before expiring. These days do, boroughs seem to prefer a new application -that means they dont have to do anything for 7 and 3/4 weeks!

Unless your PD rights were suspended, I can't see what the issue is with swapping doors and windows around, adding more doors, whatever.

Footings are poured. Starting to build up to damp on Monday so I may just apply and go ahead with it in the meantime

Unless your PD rights were suspended, I can't see what the issue is with swapping doors and windows around, adding more doors, whatever.

The OP is working to approved plans. PD does not come into it.

The proposed raised deck could be a potential Planning problem and if the proposed doors open out onto a sloping garden which will required a raised platform then the Planners will probably pick it up if you apply for a non material amendment.

I am more of the "better to seek forgiveness than ask permission" philosophy when it comes to things like this but it depends on your attitude to risk.

To be clear- a 'non-material amendment' application does not seek a new 'permission' it just seeks confirmation whether the council considers the amended scheme is so close to the original it could lawfully be carried out under the original planning permission. i.e. if the change is not material, it could be argued legally it could be carried out under the original permission.

Submitting this sort of application would provide confirmation from the Council they do consider this, which may be of assistance in the future (e.g. when you sell); but it is an assessment which you or a planning professional could make.

Notch7's first reply advice sounds like pretty sensible advice..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back