Have you worked in Germany?

M

malcolmX

When Maggie Thatcher was running the show she almost crippled the building industry, no chance of a job over here.
I ended up working in Germany as a Gast arbiter (auf weidersehen pet)
did anyone else end up there and if you did how did you like it? do tell

Sponsored Links
malcolmx the only foreign countries i have worked in are England and Wales, didnt like them so came home again, but as you have worked in Germany and also the same question to others who have done the same, what do you think of all these foreigners coming into our country and getting all the work, would you ship them back to there own place or are you happy that in an open market you will happily compete with anyone who wants to come here to work
when you were in Germany were the T&C's the same for Brits as German nationals and also did you pay the same rate tax & NI etc

Sponsored Links

Met Stan on holiday in Tenerife back in '88. Great bloke, very funny, got a round in too! :cool:

I personally don't have a problem with them coming over here as long as they are legal, after all you could say that I have been in their position too.

My own country had no work for me and I was getting deeper and deeper in debt and by going to Germany they saved my bacon by stopping my home from being repossessed.
When I first got there I was totally naive and basically we were working on the "lump" the German firms paid the Dutch gangmasters in cash and they paid us in cash with no deductions (tax or insurence" and we were in fact paid more than the Germans.

Otto who was my foreman said to me one day why are you working for the Dutch and not us? he said that they will rob you of a months wages when you come to the end of your 3 month contract.
He then took me to the head office and I signed up to work direct for them paying proper tax and insurence and cutting out the Dutchmen.
Not a lot of people realise that Germany is a very Catholic country and there is what is known as a voluntary church tax, I was asked did I want to pay that, I said yes certainly as soon as I said that doors were opened for me and I became what you could call a German blood brother.
The news spread all over the site and I was the bee's knee's.

Forget what happened during the war the Germans are great people, they work hard and play hard and they do like a little tipple :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
I could tell you loads of things about Germany, best 3 years of my life.

kirkgas
I have worked the lenght and breadth of this country, Wales, Ireland and Scotland. I once worked on the Loch Ness hotel fitting laundry equipment.
The Loch Ness monster museum was next door and the loud speaker blasted out "welcome to the Loch Ness monster museum" in several languages it nearly drove me mad.
The hotel was not open to guests as it was just before the season opened but they were serving meals, me and my mate had the hotel to ourselves at night, the restaurant lassies invited us to their local pub out in the sticks I got so drunk on Scotch whisky I have never touched it since :D

I worked all over Germany 95 & 96 as a Bricklayer. Loved it and I have some good memories

I worked all over Germany 95 & 96 as a Bricklayer. Loved it and I have some good memories
It was great, I enjoyed my time there it really opened my eyes the difference between Britain and Germany.
I was working for a company in Hanau just outside of Frankfurt, had my own apartment in a little village called Langanselbold, memories eh :?:

I done alot of work with Wolff & Muller in Kallstadt, Manheim, Gottinghem, Cologne, to name a few.

We were treated good as we were reliable and done good work. They love you then. Went to numerous Richtfest's. They were great :D

I could talk about plumbing till the cows come home, as for Germans not having a sense of humour thats a load of cobblers, they do although it is a little different from ours.
Going back to my younger days in the game well before the mass slum clearances of Manchester and Salford there were thousands of charactor houses well past their sell by date but very interesting, houses today are too sanitised.

I worked all over Germany 95 & 96 as a Bricklayer.
it really opened my eyes the difference between Britain and Germany.
I eh :?:
Indeed , they have a good economy, Ve haff und shizen one - For us , the economy iss over :LOL: :rolleyes:
The German economy is at present powering ahead of ours, they are leaving us standing.

Not surprising really when it's backed up with our contributions to the EU. Personally, I think we pay far too much money into the EU and just get the illegal immigrants Europe don't want in return. ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Sponsored Links
Back