Having a bit of trouble!

J

Jason88

Alright lads I'm in need of some expert advice to do with my porch roof
it's a flat roof about 2 m x 1m
I replaced the old felt nailed down a underlay and stuck the top with cold bitumen what a nightmare that stuff is so messy!
anyway I have made a big mistake and have only just found out!
I'm told I should of scribed a line into the wall and tucked the felt into it and re mortared or sealed or even used a lead flashing.
What I have done being a fool is stuck the felt up the wall without doing this meaning the edge of felt is exposed.
My questions are

1. Is it possible to use some kind of sealant along the brickwork/where the felt sticks to prevent the felt from lifting and water getting in. I know this sounds pretty amateurish but if it works I'm happy.

2. If this is possible what kind of sealant would be suitable to use with bitumen felt and brick as I understand you cant use normal silicone on bitumen?

I know you boys will be horrified with what I have done but we live and learn!!!!

Any advice much thanked

Jason

Sponsored Links
Just get some self-adhesive flashing and stick it along the brick course above, so that it comes down over the felt.

Evening lads
Thanks for replying

Mv roofline. As for the self adhering flashing would I need to treat the brickwork first with a primer or would it adhere ok?

Tony. Just to confirm is that sealant ok to use on brickwork
Didn't say in the description.

Cheers fellas :D

Sponsored Links
I've used stuff similar to that on a lean-to garage, only more expensive and in rolls.
If choosing this stuff, do it on a hot day when it will stick better.
None of this is the bees knees, but if it's just a porch, it should be OK, at least for a few years.

For sure I mean nobody's gonna be sleeping under it
Well I might if the mrs boots me out ha
I think il run some of that sealant along it after to be sure can you confirm
MV roofline link is suitable for brickwork my friend

Cheers

Do I need to protect felt from the sun with stone chipings
I hear that this is a good idea
could I paint some bitumen over it?

Limestone chippings in bitumen prolong the life of the felt by protecting it from UV. The stone also satisfies certain Building Regulations requirements on reducing fire-spread, though that would not apply much for a porch!
But why bother humping a sack of chippings up, though, when you can get proprietory brush-on coatings nowadays?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back