Having a meter moved question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having a service fuse and meter moved by uk power networks hopefully very soon the work involved making a new joint in the street then 450mm deep under my front garden to an external box which will hold my cut out and meter, the engineer who visited my property then discussed using 25mm swa with a 16mm earth attached to that to a new MK split load board, I'm just wondering the best way I could terminate this or if this is the way to do it?

Sponsored Links
Is this TN-C-S, or what?

Normally, you bring your tails and earth into the outside cabinet for the nice man to connect to the meter (and seal!) once they have done the scary bit.

Sponsored Links
Yes the cable will come into the cut out then the meter (all done safely buy UkPN) into the box on the front wall, earthing will be PME the issue I have is the consumer unit will be upstairs in one of the bedrooms so how and what do I use to get there ?

If you don't fancy rejigging stuff so you move the CU downstairs, then a submain is the way to go.

SWA, on an 80A switchfuse?

Ok then so tails out of the meter into a 80amp switch fuse in the outside box then 25 mm swa to the consumer unit ?

That is very common, but strictly, the external box is for the DNO's equipment only.

Strictly speaking, the tails should go through the wall, and your switchfuse on the other side. Protect the cables with a piece of 50mm waste pipe where they run through the cavity.

You could earth the armour either in the switchfuse or the CU

And using one of the cores in the SWA to take your earth to the CU.

Some would say you should earth at both ends but it's not necessary.

I would probably do it in the switchfuse as there'll be more room, and then you're earthing it at the origin rather than the destination (not that it makes ANY difference), just seems more logical

Something like Hager IU 44-18, a metalclad 80A switchfuse. Can't find a picture at the moment.

The armoured would be glanded off at both ends. At the switchfuse end, the armour would connect to the MET.

At the other end, it would connect to the earth bar within the metalclad CU.

No you would use a metal clad switch fuse at the cutout end, and earth the SWA there.

Also if you install an 80A switch fuse, you can run 16.0mm² SWA. Use three core and you won't need to run a seperate earth.

You *might* be able to use split concetric and an insulated switch fuse, but it would need an onsite assesment to it's suitibility to omit RCD protection from it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back