Having an electrical test

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Ive bought a cottage which is a complete renovation job. I presumed it would need a full rewiring (not knowing any better). Is there such a thing as an 'electrical test' an electrician can carry out which shows what need doing (and what doesnt)? If so - and if it doesnt need a complete rewire - would the electrician then be able to give me a certificate stating its all safe and complies with current safety standards?
I think I got carried away and just assumed it would need a complete rewire, but if it doesnt then Ive saved myself a lot of money! I would think it would atleast need a new consumer unit.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Yea it’s called an Electrical Installation Condition Report or EICR. Some old school electricians may still refer to it as a PIR or Periodic Inspection Report.

Whether it passes or not is anyone’s guess but it will give you an idea of what needs doing

...and it is extremely unlikely to comply with the latest safety standards but that does not mean it is not acceptable.

Sponsored Links
Sorry for tardy response!

Below are photos of the CU. Im not sure whats being used and whats not! From the looks of this, does it look ancient/dangerous?

DSC01352.JPG
DSC01353.JPG
DSC01354.JPG

Looks like it was fairly neat, the main problem is IP rating, those missing fuses and covers allow access to live parts.i wouldn't say dangerous based on what I see though, but it's impossible to tell for sure.
I think an eicr is the best idea to know how good everything is actually in terms of functionality, but I would recommend a new cu regardless as those have been butchered up pretty well on the fuse cover

I had an electrician over who did a quick earth test. The result was 16 which he said was really good. Is that the case?
The house does need a complete rewire (we'll be changing the floor plan downstairs and most of upstairs). Is it a good idea to get a eicr in the meantime? If so, whats is the probable cost for this?

I had an electrician over who did a quick earth test. The result was 16 which he said was really good. Is that the case?

No idea what 16 refers too.

The house does need a complete rewire (we'll be changing the floor plan downstairs and most of upstairs). Is it a good idea to get a eicr in the meantime? If so, whats is the probable cost for this?

Unless there are obvious concerns the eicr would be a waste of money.

In the rewire consider data/phone wiring and any external electrics.

If you are going for a full rewire try and resist the temptation to reuse cabling already installed. Keep an eye out especially for old rubber-insulated cabling (get rid) and not all PVC covered can be trusted- I believe back in the 60s/70s there was a spike in the price of copper so CCA was used instead in some areas (it'll be multistrand and quite big. Get rid).

And what he said about data, aerial/satellite cables, alarm, outside lights/power

16 would be terrible, perhaps he meant 0.16 which would be good.
If you're renovating anyway and you'll have insufficient sockets etc, you'll never get a better opportunity. At that point you're not saving anything by trying to reuse some bits of old wire.

Is it a good idea to get a eicr in the meantime? If so, whats is the probable cost for this?
Done properly it will be £100+. A pointless waste of money if you are having a rewire.

As for unsafe - impossible to know from a few pictures but as the earth has already been tested that is good - and unless there are obvious things such as damaged sockets, burnt/overheated things or exposed wires, then probably as safe as any other installation of that age.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back