Having issues with Dulux Satinwood on a mdf panel, pls help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, a while back i posted asking whether satinwood would be good for an mdf panel and was told it would go on well.

I initially undercoated the surface which looked good to be honest.

I then add a coat of satinwood which i assumed was enough however realised the next day that it had a few dark lines in it.

Nevertheless I add a second coat but there still exists a few darker lines. I am a little dissapointed as i thought it would have looked great. what is worst is that it looks more gloss than satin.

First and foremost what should i do to solve the initial problem of dark lines and secondly what can i use to make it more matt than glossy

Sponsored Links
Anyone?

I was also wondering whether it is possible to give a rub down where i remove the sheen of the satin but not remove the paint completely to give it a matt look i.e. similar to white foamx, is this possible.

I dont understand why satinwood is so difficult to apply

Satinwood is one of the easiest to apply... Honest. On MDF you need 2 or 3 coats of undercoat, rubbed down between coats. then apply 2 coats of satin wood. you must A) get enough paint on and B) make sure it covers properly and lay it off and leave it. You cannot sand it to take the shine off. Admittedly satinwood is a little shiny for some people, you could use eggshell, this will be a little less shiny but not have the durability of the satinwood.

Sponsored Links
Right, i got fed up in the end and just did something very unorthodox mainly due to not liking the sheen. I ended up rubbing the satinwood down a little and put a layer of crown bright white matt emulsion which looked spot on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back