Having to sell up, no building regs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, so sorry if this is so long.
I am having to sell my house this year. traditional 3 bed semi, had an extension along the back of the house 9 years ago and took out window from back living room and door from small kitchen to open it up and also knocked wall out between kitchen wall and back living room. so all open plan except for the pillar in the middle which was part of the supporting wall in the living room. had 4 metre wide patio doors going out to the garden, radiator fitted in the extension part also. I didn't have building regs , I had no clue and God knows why the builder didn't advise. Was working full time with 3 small children and on my own so it all just happened. I have no choice but to sell the house this year and am really concerned that it will put a stop to the sale. is there anyway without getting the LA to inspect that I could get in to advise? I have looked at private approved inspectors but it looks like they don't do retrospective. any advice would be so welcome. Thank you

Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/conversations/add#ixzz7J0pfIQpb

Sponsored Links
Your link just goes to 'Start a conversation' via the website? There is nothing more to be read there - if there is more information to post, you need to include it in your post..

See below:

As a general rule, if the work was done more than 4 years ago – you're fine, as permission can't be enforced beyond then. If it's been less than 4 years, in many instances it is reasonable to ask the seller to take out indemnity insurance on your behalf.

Andy

There is always someone that will buy a house without any required permissions.

What you need to do is put all the details in the sales literature so that you only attract those who are already aware of the situation, and this should avoid buyers pulling out at a later stage because of the unauthorised work.

There are indemnity insurance policies to cover these scenarios, but it's very important that you do not approach the council or anyone about the unauthorised works now.

The key thing is whether the works are safe, but that will be left to any buyer's surveyor to advise - however it's not unknown for people to just buy houses without a survey.

Typically, buyers will use unauthorised works as a bargaining chip to reduce the asking price. Take your agents advice on how to price the house and what you may be reasonably expected to knock off the price in any negotiation. But don't be beaten down and feel that you must accept low offers - it's a sellers market at the moment and you do in fact have the upper hand.

Sponsored Links
I had to get an indemnity, bloody solicitors arguing back and forth. Cost me £69 quid I think once we found out what the problem was. Indemnity was based on the value of the sale. Buyer was happy, I was happy and we all moved on.

We just moved, I had to get one, buyer would have pulled out if I'd not paid the £100, even after I demonstrated with a historical Google earth picture showing our extension was built over 12 years ago (that's as far back as GE would go) even though the extension was 20 odd years old and sent them numerous links to bits of legislation stating any buyer would be immune from anything. It was an impasse. There was no talk of reducing the price, I'd have happily walked away in that situation. All this talk of being upfront is all very well but these things are sometimes seldom thought about or considered by some buyers until the dopey solicitors and mortgage company's get involved.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for replying so quickly, I really appreciate it. I have no clue how to use this forum, am I doing the right thing as want to be able to thank everyone ?

Thank you for your lengthy reply and taking the time. Yes I was thinking what you said about not getting LA involved and I am probably panicking and overthinking and will bear the bargaining in mind. Thank you again.

There is always someone that will buy a house without any required permissions.

What you need to do is put all the details in the sales literature so that you only attract those who are already aware of the situation, and this should avoid buyers pulling out at a later stage because of the unauthorised work.

There are indemnity insurance policies to cover these scenarios, but it's very important that you do not approach the council or anyone about the unauthorised works now.

The key thing is whether the works are safe, but that will be left to any buyer's surveyor to advise - however it's not unknown for people to just buy houses without a survey.

Typically, buyers will use unauthorised works as a bargaining chip to reduce the asking price. Take your agents advice on how to price the house and what you may be reasonably expected to knock off the price in any negotiation. But don't be beaten down and feel that you must accept low offers - it's a sellers market at the moment and you do in fact have the upper hand.

Really reassuring to hear, thank you for your reply and taking the time. So glad to hear it all worked out for you.
I had to get an indemnity, bloody solicitors arguing back and forth. Cost me £69 quid I think once we found out what the problem was. Indemnity was based on the value of the sale. Buyer was happy, I was happy and we all moved on.

Thank you for taking the time to reply, this is all very reassuring, I’m delighted for you. Thank you again.

We just moved, I had to get one, buyer would have pulled out if I'd not paid the £100, even after I demonstrated with a historical Google earth picture showing our extension was built over 12 years ago (that's as far back as GE would go) even though the extension was 20 odd years old and numerous links to bits of legislation stating any buyer would be immune from anything. It was an impasse. There was no talk of reducing the price, I'd have happily walked away in that situation. All this talk of being upfront is all very well but these things are sometimes seldom thought about or considered by some buyers until the dopey solicitors and mortgage company's get involved.

The reason people are saying not to inform the local authority is once you've informed them you are unable to apply for an indemnity policy if required

Thank you so much for replying so quickly, I really appreciate it. I have no clue how to use this forum, am I doing the right thing as want to be able to thank everyone ?

At the lower right of each individuals post, just below the post number, Mulitquote and Quote, there are hidden Thanks and Like buttons. If you hover the mouse pointer round that area, they will appear.

The reason people are saying not to inform the local authority is once you've informed them you are unable to apply for an indemnity policy if required
Really good to know, thank you for taking the time to reply, this has all been really invaluable stuff.

I'm sure you will be back when you move into your new home, most of us are very friendly!

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back