Hawthorn - affect foundation depth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,

I have started to build my outbuilding/workshop as of last week. Cleared and plotted the ground out then called the BCO. There is a hawthorn 1.5m away from the foundation of the building so had to dig 2.5m down which I found takes a certain knack to dig.

As I am coming away from the hawthorn can I step the foundations higher to save on cost of spoil and concrete? I have looked at the calculator which according goes to 1m deep at 6m away from the hawthorn.

I have asked BCO and awaiting to hear back but some advice would be greatly appreciated.

Giant90

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    452.8 KB · Views: 399
Sponsored Links
Hello All,

I have started to build my outbuilding/workshop as of last week. Cleared and plotted the ground out then called the BCO. There is a hawthorn 1.5m away from the foundation of the building so had to dig 2.5m down which I found takes a certain knack to dig.

As I am coming away from the hawthorn can I step the foundations higher to save on cost of spoil and concrete? I have looked at the calculator which according goes to 1m deep at 6m away from the hawthorn.

I have asked BCO and awaiting to hear back but some advice would be greatly appreciated.

Giant90
I bet you wished you had dug out the hawthorn first!

Hawrhorn is known problem in zone of influence.

I hope you are digging with a digger and not going down the hole -its very very dangerous.

Yes it is possible to step upwards, although I cant remember the rules offhand.

To avoid stress, steps must be vertical and cleanly cut -not easy that deep, nor is scraping up the crumb.

Hi Notch,

Thanks for the reply.

I have taken out the hawthorn now and wish I done it sooner! Lesson learned :)

I am using a 2.5t digger for the first time to dig the foundation and the digging isn't very clean so far plus digging 2.5m down is a struggle.

I have looked online for rules on step foundation away from a tree but no luck.

I was hoping to dig in 0.5m increments away from the tree so at 1.5m away - 2.5m deep, 2m - 2.33m, 2.5m - 2.16m, 3m - 1.99m etc to 1m depth.

Would this be ok?

Sponsored Links
Thanks again Notch. With the Hawthorn at 1.5m away makes it very tricky to plan stepped trenchfill foundation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back