HD TV

Richardp said:
ours is 84'' and I get my 94 year old grandma to lift it into position :D
are you suggesting a 94 yr old woman is tougher than you? ;)

Sponsored Links
anobium said:
Yes, but that again is another money making scam from sky. It is basically an upgraded sky plus box and the one it replaced is only 6 months old.
Surely they could have incorporated the hd element in the previous sky plus boxes. They have known about this for at least 2 years
Whats the betting that they reduce the costs when the bbc introduce their hd programmes
By the way the extra £10 per month is on top of the £60 per month which my son already pays for the various channels
It certainly makes the tv licensing charge seem value for money
the BBC gets it's revenue from the licence fee which you are forced to pay if you want to watch television, sky gets it's revenue from charging you which you don't have to pay if you don't want their content but do you think the technology and programmes come out of thin air, the massive investment in bringing the hd platform into existence has to be recouped.
Perhaps you are one of those that like something for nothing?

I just bought a samsung 850 that has upscaling of dvd's through a hdmi cable but its not vastly better than progressive/interlaced images.the hdmi cable is nice and small so it can be easier to connect to the rear of a t.v. as opposed to monster scart cables.

Sponsored Links
The HDMI cable is only a connection cable and will not significantly improve the picture from a standard definition picture source.

Its main purpose is as a connection suitable for HD with useful additional facilities included.

Tony Glazier

Agile said:
The HDMI cable is only a connection cable and will not significantly improve the picture from a standard definition picture source.

Its main purpose is as a connection suitable for HD with useful additional facilities included.

Tony Glazier
true.but when compared to a monster scart lead it is more flexible and won't fall out .

If you compare HD and normal side by side HD is obviously better BUT, do you watch the quality of the broadcast or the content? I'd much rather spend my money on better equipment and leave HD until everything is settled and standardised. Prices will come down dramatically too as more and more HD systems are produced, why rush to be first to test the Titanic :eek:

Regards - JB

BBC web site has a lot about this subject.

It is being said by 'the experts', that this is the biggest break thorough since colour tv.
Did you know that LCD TV's reduced in price by over 40% from last year.
You have to decide where you need to be with technology, although if you can remember way back to colour tv (& it wasnt very good) it was extremely expensive, todays technology seems reasonably priced. But there are those out there that must have it regardless.
They could well fall into the same category, that do not have pensions, & HAD flags on there CARS.

My first colour TV was in 1969 and was a 26" Decca dual standard hybrid with a PL509 line output valve and a shunt 25 kV stabiliser. I think I sold it with the house in 1978 as it was built into the chimney breast.

Back to the HD reception. I have been doing some research and find that there are two options:-

Pay £359 for a Sky Thomson box with a recorder built in but not useable unless I pay an extra £10 per month for "Skyplus". Supply backlog until September due to the high demand. Extra £10 per month to Sky for HD !

Alternatively buy a box for about £250 probably without any proper guarantee as they seem to get out by calling it a "trade sale" and buy a Freeview card for £20 and be able to watch BBC and ITV HD channels but not Sky channels and I dont think the Geographic which is one of the better content channels.

Neither choice is very attractive to me but I do like to have the latest tech things. Perhaps I will wait until the end of the summer and see if the alternative market is any more helpful and if the Sky supply situation is any better.

Any other info?

Tony

dabaldie said:
JonD wrote:
you may also have VGA\Component inputs on your TV which also allow you to input HD sources.

Jon.

I didnt know VGA supported HD inputs. Learn something new every day.
ok.. lets clarify this.

there are three ways of displaying HD.

HDMI.. the normal way of doing it which transmits audio and picture

Component signal which is video only
and..
the one which you seem to be confusing which is DVI
DVI looks like VGA but is not. The socket is the same but its not the same input
also only carrys picture only. VGA will never give the same quality at DVI
VGA is an analogue sourge. DVI is digital.

its a bit like the Digital optigal vs Digital Co-axial arguement...

Don't confuse that with the single input composite video input, component video has 5 seperate connections and is generally considered superior over RGB & S-VIDEO. I have never seen a standard tv with comp inputs but my 21" computer monitor has them :D

I think he means "composite" rather than "component@.

My Philips plasma has a multitude of component inputs of various kinds, and HDI as well as an intreaguing BNC socket marked "HD".

Does anyone know what the "HD" really is?

Another computer problem, during my use this morning my keyboard has switched the keys used between the " and the @

A friends computer has that problem too. What caused mine to switch today and how do I return it to normal ?

Tony

Your keyboard layout setting has most likely somehow got changed from British to Americian.

I have a 82 inch lcd tv i won it in america on a game show i happened to volentier they say there are only 50 in the world so they say, it cost them $350 to ship it to the uk, and to be honest it looks stupid in my front room has it is quit small. i am thinking of selling it and buy a smaller one.

Sponsored Links
Back