He can't fix it so I'm suppose to replace my oil boiler. Really?

But when it's not working, is the pump still working and the zone valves open ? maybe one or other or both are intermittent.
When the boiler not working the pump is still working I can hear the water pumping around the system. There are two valves one for rads and one for hot water. I'm going to clear out the airing cupboard tomorrow and check it out though, thanks.

Sponsored Links
If it is being caused by a faulty thermostat on the boiler when the problem occurs if I link out each thermostat in turn and get no response does this mean the stat is not the problem?

In my thinking, if I link out each stat and the boiler fires up then the problem is that stat, correct or not?
Sounds good, so if all the stats prove it's the pump or zone valves or timer! I still don't think it's likely to be the boiler, mine was at least 10 years old when I inherited it and during 15 years with me it never put a foot wrong!!
EDIT just seen your reply, go for a stuck zone valve then, they are often troublesome. Remember the manual override lever.

Sounds good, so if all the stats prove it's the pump or zone valves or timer! I still don't think it's likely to be the boiler, mine was at least 10 years old when I inherited it and during 15 years with me it never put a foot wrong!!
EDIT just seen your reply, go for a stuck zone valve then, they are often troublesome.
I'm starting to think likewise. Thanks.

If you only have to press button 26 then not a water problem but did you say that reset button was not illuminating on burner trip
How often are the boiler baffles removed and cleaned?

Sponsored Links
Re: Worcester Greenstar Camray External 12/18 oil boiler.

Also, about half the times it is supposed to fire up via the timer or the one-hour boost the boiler won’t fire up. It sort of locks out but the lockout light on the burner reset button is not eliminated however pressing the burner reset will start the boiler if the boiler the boiler control thermostat is set high enough.
Just to be clear, presume you mean illuminated (not eliminated) and the boiler reset is this same button?.
If you turn the boiler stat up and down, is there ~ 6 to 10C hysteresis between the "clicks"?.

I would also check the air damper setting for your burner, page 38 of the attached.

Attachments

• Greenstar_External_Camray_Utility_12-18_18-25_25-32_Installation_and_Servicing_Instructions (2).pdf
    9 MB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Just to be clear, presume you mean illuminated (not eliminated) and the boiler reset is this same button?.
If you turn the boiler stat up and down, is there ~ 6 to 10C hysteresis between the "clicks"?.

I would also check the air damper setting for your burner, page 38 of the attached.
Yes, I did mean illuminated. the boiler reset is a different button.
I'm referring to button 26 on the burner control box. I doesn't light up but when pressed the burner will fire and the boiler runs.

I'll have to check the boiler stat tomorrow in the light.

That isn't the same book as for my boiler as I've no pressure gauge unless that is because I have a vented open system. I'll have to check the air damper, I've not opened that bit up but I saw inside there when guy had it to bits and looks the same. I'll see in the light. Thanks.

If you only have to press button 26 then not a water problem but did you say that reset button was not illuminating on burner trip
How often are the boiler baffles removed and cleaned?
Baffles where cleaned when serviced in Aug and the guy did check them, still clean.

Yes, I did mean illuminated. the boiler reset is a different button.
I'm referring to button 26 on the burner control box. I doesn't light up but when pressed the burner will fire and the boiler runs.

I'll have to check the boiler stat tomorrow in the light.

That isn't the same book as for my boiler as I've no pressure gauge unless that is because I have a vented open system. I'll have to check the air damper, I've not opened that bit up but I saw inside there when guy had it to bits and looks the same. I'll see in the light. Thanks.
That's very strange that the light doesn't illuminate since its in the reset button except it was never installed correctly, have you ever seen it illuminated on combustion failure?.
I did come across a 20 year old Firebird with a Riello G5X burner where the button wasn't quite out and causing nuicance tripping, after several hours discovered the problem and a squirt of WD40 freed it up to spring back out after pressing it.

Just an update, the boiler turned on with demand from the system. Ran for about an hour and now the lock-out light has illuminated, this time. I've tried three times to reset by pressing the reset on the burner and it won't fire up. I'll give it an hour or so and then try again.

Last edited:
That is possibly a sign of a failing oil burner solenoid valve coil especially if it takes a hour or so to cool down, may be worth renewing it.
You can distinctively hear my one clicking on ~ 6/7 secs after the prepurge, if you don't hear a click after this 6/7 secs then the burner will lock out 5 secs later, there could be other reasons as well, of course).

You can also do a "test" after its firing for say 45 minutes, briefly press the reset button, the burner will trip and immediately do a prepurge and should refire.

Last edited:
That's very strange that the light doesn't illuminate since its in the reset button except it was never installed correctly, have you ever seen it illuminated on combustion failure?.
I did come across a 20 year old Firebird with a Riello G5X burner where the button wasn't quite out and causing nuicance tripping, after several hours discovered the problem and a squirt of WD40 freed it up to spring back out after pressing it.
I pretty sure the button works OK, but will check thanks.

It's funny that this time the reset lockout button has illuminanted. I think I might be chasing two problems?

I'm going to shut it down overnight and see what happens in the morning.

Thanks for all help so far, we shall see what tomorrow brings.

Heres a few photos

Attachments

• IMG_20231112_115750.jpg
    IMG_20231112_115750.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20231112_115743.jpg
    IMG_20231112_115743.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20231112_115736.jpg
    IMG_20231112_115736.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20231112_115730.jpg
    IMG_20231112_115730.jpg
    297.7 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_20231112_115720.jpg
    IMG_20231112_115720.jpg
    235.4 KB · Views: 35
When i left the boiler last night the boiler demand light was lit and the burner reset light was lit. No pressing the burner reset it would not fire up.
This morning the demand light was lit but the burner reset light was not lit. But the boiler was not running, I pressed the burner reset and the boiler fires up and runs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back