Health risks of painting a wooden picnic bench with 'shed and fence' paint?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I was just wondering if there are any health risks associated with painting a wooden picnic bench with 'shed and fence' paint?

A relative was going to paint a picnic bench with some Berrettine or Johnstones 'Shed and fence' paint but I stopped them because I thought it might contain chemicals that might not be good for the health. If people are sitting on it and eating outside on it.

Am I just being over precautions? Do you think it would be ok to use these paints?

The instructions for the paint doesn't explicitly say you shouldn't use them for garden furniture, but they don't say the should either.

In the past I have used Cuprinol Garden Shades as it explicitly says you can use that for garden furniture, but we don't have any of that left and my relative wanted to use the shed and fence stuff.

Sponsored Links
I assume the the shed and fence paint is water based?

It will be perfectly safe when dry, but probably won't be very durable.

I use Ronseal Fence life 5 year ,

Spayed my 6 foot fences with this last year and it's great no sign of protection wearing off solid as the day I sprayed

I have a lot of fences it takes two half 9 lite tub med oak.

Screwfix has offers from time to time

Last edited:
Echo scbk's comments about durability; painted a play equipment with 5 year fencelife, and a year later it's rubbed off in places of high wear. Very shabby chic!

Sponsored Links
If its Water Based as other have said it should be O.K. Check the can or the Product Datasheet Online.

At a guess, it may be the case that the shed paint is not designed to deal with horizontal surfaces, meaning that it may fail prematurely.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back