Health & safety rules for new self employed one-man band

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, just after some advice on good old health and safety ?

Just wondered what the rules are on ladders,working height, harness etc...

Tried the HSE website but got a bit confused,thought this way may be easier ??

Thanks for your time..

Sponsored Links
What job did you do before you decided to be a decorator? Do you have any training? Or did you paint your kitchen once and think "I'll be a decorator"?

Mark.

The Health and Safety at Work Act is indeed very complex, as a basic rule of thumb you have a responsibility to not only ensure your own safety but also anyone who could be affected by your actions.

If you contact the HSE they will provide you with all the information you require to stay within the law.

Good luck

Dec.

Hi TheDec,

as one man bands are we subject to the same rules as larger organisations?

For example If I work outdoors and choose not to use sun cream i doubt that any offence has been committed whereas I might be liable if i pay someone else to work outside without adequate protection.

I have never had any dealings with the HSE but try to be sensible and mitigate the risk of accidents (to both myself and others).

For example if i need to put dust sheets on a wooden floor i warn the client about the risk of them slipping but I have no idea what one should do (according to the HSE).

Perhaps it is something that I should look into at some point.

Sponsored Links
And hi to you opps.

You might not realise it but you have just raised a very good point here, with regard to the dustsheets although you had warned the client regarding the dangers, it would still be you that would be held to account if they in anyway injured themselves.

The HSE would deem that you should not have allowed this to occur, they would also deem that you had'nt used the appropiate signs as warnings and or sealed off the working area.

Care and vigilance is now needed at all times the old times are gone, and I should know, i'm getting old ;)

Dec.

Oh goody I can ban the client from the house until I finish the job... hang on... who's gonna make the tea?!?!

if you were to meet all hse requirements you would need to charge more for your work.
for example there is the working at height regulation you are only comptent if you have paid for a coures,passed it,purchased correct equipment and USE them.
do you transport flamable liquids/gas in your vehicle.
diy ladders are not suitable for trade use.
not to mention doing a risk assestment on every job.this has to be accepted by your client and a copy left with them.
in the past i have seen a painter asked to leave a site as his radio was plugged into the clients electric but had no rcd.
please do not forget if you carry rubbish away from a job you need a waste lisence i think from the enviroment agency,even just an empty paint container.around my way there are routine multi agency inspectors who stop mostly vans and cars with ladders on roof the drivers always look very unhappy.

good luck.

hi jonnojob

Good points.

Mind you diy class 3 ladders are only rated at 95kg. I have seen people who weigh more than that use them!!!

yes its a minefield.

diy ladders = diy use.

difference between diy and professional trade use tools is the price.

i think the goverment want all trades men/women to self certify all work they carry out with regard to safety and quality.
this already happens for electric,gas,air con,windows,motor vehicles and many more.

yes its a minefield so tread with care.

minefields dont give you a second chance.

support www.helpforheroes.org.uk

But try not to get too het up with it otherwise you will never get any work done and will spend all your time sorting health and safety issues.
Different rules do apply for small companies employing u nder certain numbers of employees and employing subcontractors. For example if you employ under acertain number of people(can't remember the figure) then your risk assesments and H&S briefs only need to be verbal, so for example it would be acceptable to just say to your client be careful, those dust sheets are slippy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back