Hearth too heavy for joists ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been offered a granite hearth and back plate to accommodate a solid fuel stove. Before I go making offers, I am concerned about the weight on an upstairs floor. I’m just after general comments before involving experts. I can’t be exact on weight but the hearth is 6 ft. X 3 ft. x 1.5 inch. Back plate 3.5 ft. square X 1.5 inch, I’m guessing at 5 to 6 cwt with the stove, standing on nominal 8 x 2 joists at 16” centres. Its not practical to increase or support the joists. Anybody got a gut feeling before I get further involved?

regards

Sponsored Links
by golly thats some fatty baby you be laying there , I would be strengthening them joists with steel ones ..lol .....
I personally wouldnt ... pfft ..just my thoughts ;)

Yep thats quite chunky.

How old is the property? Where on the joist span do you want to put these (ie middle of room or against wall)?

May be easiest to double up the joists in that area.

Its an old cottage with a newish upper floor. Flue/hearth is in the middle of a 14 ft span.

You know whats its like when you get offered a real bargain, you try and make it fit regardless. I had reservations, Moz and probably you have brought me back to earth. This is one bargain I'll give a miss to, last thing I need is sagging joists and a sinking fireplace.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
anyone wanna tell me what a cwt is? i know its a unit of mass, but what's it equivalent to?

1 CWT (100 pounds) = 50.8 Kilos

( pounds as in lbs not sterling) :LOL:

Center of a 14ft span.. short answer is no.

Youll need to do some messing with additional joists, and probably a spreader plate.. or as someone else suggested go steel.

Cwt = an hundred weight as we say up here in Lancashire.

Come on Crafty, Your not telling me your that YOUNG you have never heard of an hundred weight :)

crafty1289 said:
anyone wanna tell me what a cwt is? i know its a unit of mass, but what's it equivalent to?

It's a unit of weight, not mass.

I have an OLD 52 lbs weight in my garage 1/2 hundred weight..

I think it used to belong to my dad. He used it for weighing out spuds.

IJWS15

You could be right .... Maybe it was 56 ? i cant remember, it was such a long time ago when i was young...

I shall have a look next time i go to my garage...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back