Heat exchanger blocked - remeha Avanta Plus - new boiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My first post here - I hope this is the right forum for advice on what can be done for this!

I had my boiler inspected today after intermittent problems with hot water.

Turns out the sludge in my grotty old heating system has blocked the main heat exchanger in the boiler - I acquired the flat this way (5 months ago), and only discovered the sludge after removing a radiator a week ago!

The engineer advised me that a new boiler would probably be best - seemed like a nice guy and fairly trustworthy, but wanted a second opinion before I shell out.

So:

Is there a way to clean the heat exchanger on an Avanta plus? and if so, what would the rough cost be. (I've heard of ultrasonic cleaners, etc... and know people can do this with other systems). The whole system will need a flush as well but I have a rough cost for this.

I know the cost of a new heat exchanger, but was told by the engineer I spoke to it was a full day's job to change and thus lots on top of the part - is this accurate? or can I do it myself (guessing this one will be a no...)?

Really I want to get my head round the cost of alternatives - new boiler is going to cost about £1700 fitted for a Worcester - and I can get some other work done at the same time which will save me some money/my time doing other things (changing radiators while it's drained, and moving valves in the bathroom etc...).

If fixing is markedly cheaper I will take that option as I am not really sure how I am going to pay for any of this at the moment..... but if things are fairly close run - new boiler to save future worries will be my choice.

Thanks in advance for all your help and advice.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I hope you are sure that its the main heat exchanger ( HE ) and not the one for the hot water.

Most can be replaced in about three hours.

But I normally just use chemicals to clean an HE in situ. Bit messy and takes 2-3 hours and charge about £180.

System can be power flushed, about £350, or have a chemical clean about £180.

Useful to fit a magnetic filter about £145 or a gauze filter about £90.

With a new boiler it will still need the system being cleaned. You need to be sure if your £1700 Worcester will include this.

Tony

Here comes Tony yet again giving out false prices on here, it will cost whatever the engineer you use charges you, £350 for a power flush could be way off the mark depending what is involved, unfortunately you are experiencing what a lot of people are having to go through that someone has went for the cheapest quote is the best, it usually ends up with the same situation that you have that the system is not properly cleaned, manufacturers advertise about how efficient modern boilers are but if they are the third generation boiler on the same pipe work and radiators then they cant do what they are designed to do

3 hours to change a heat exchanger tony are you mad 1-1.5hrs tops. Your guy is pulling your leg to say it will take all day to change, if you are short of cash you could ask an engineer if hes prepared to clean it with chemicals in situ or remove and fill will cleaner and see if he can shift the muck. 1700 seems a good price for a combi swap i would rather get rid of the avanta

Sponsored Links
As Tony says - ignoring the pricing, as usual - if you fit a Worcester to a ****ey system you are going to be back in the poo in around 2 years.

A chemical flush won't do., on a dirty system only a Powerflush, correctly done a rad at a time has any hope. Preferably with a Magnacleanse in series and a vibrotool.

Remeha Avanta is best got rid of, horrible boiler.

This forum treated them as the second coming when they were new, some of those same RGIs still posting on here, hang your heads in shame.

If you can afford it: change it!
New house: new boiler (and new kitchen; bathroom; plastering; skirting; architraves; doors; windows; decorating... Etc etc :sneaky:)

I've not read all the above posts but.

A full day is probably stretching it a bit to change the heat exchanger unless he has included flushing the system in that time.

The boiler you have is garbage and not worth spending much money on.

Your system will need to be flushed wether you change the boiler or not.

You probably could power flush the boiler alone but I'd replace it personally.

Thanks for all your advice!

Think I will change it - the 1700 I have so far comes with a flush and a filter...

I am guessing this is not a power flush - although I will change all the rads at the same time as to be honest that's not too expensive, they're old and inefficient, and it saves me painting them all. Would this forgo the need of a power flush?

Thanks for all your advice!

I am guessing this is not a power flush - although I will change all the rads at the same time as to be honest that's not too expensive, they're old and inefficient, and it saves me painting them all.

Would this forgo the need of a power flush?

You may be surprised to hear that all radiators are 100% efficient.

When fitting a new boiler the system has to be cleaned. This can be a chemical flush or a power flush.

The installer is responsible for cleaning it as required. Some however try to put that responsibility on the customer by quoting for power and chemical flushing and then blaming the customer if he chooses the cheaper chemical flush and if that turns out to not be adequate the way he does it. Irresponsible in my view.

There are many ways to do a chemical flush. The minimum is just putting the chemical in the system for a few hours/weeks. The maximum can be similar to power flushing but using the system pump and mains water.

Tony

You may be surprised to hear that all radiators are 100% efficient.
what a load of tosh, when radiators are painted they become more inefficient every time , think about it , by painting them you are insulating them and by design they radiate heat hence the name, radiators are not expensive , if you can afford to change them then do it at the same time as your boiler is changed, a proper flush should be included in the price anyway as it is required

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back